Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's the largest harp/throat space out there? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-largest-harp-throat-space-out-there-t272774.html)

Nilla 11-29-2015 04:19 AM

What's the largest harp/throat space out there?

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to figure out a solution to my dilemma. I want to sell my long arm. I never really connected with it, but I don't want to go back to shoving a giant quilt under my regular sewing machine harp. I tried out a sit down quilting machine yesterday and unfortunately they are like the worst of both worlds for me. Without the feed dogs I can't stitch in the ditch very well (and I don't like using rulers), and since you're moving the fabric rather than the needle my free motion quilting doesn't look very good (it looks lovely when I do it on the long arm though).

Is there such a thing as a regular sewing machine with a large (16"ish) harp space out there?

Does anyone have any other ideas to help me with this dilemma? I keep reminding myself that this sort of problem is truly a blessing in the big picture of life, nonetheless, it's got me stuck....

Thank you in advance!

ghostrider 11-29-2015 04:38 AM

The largest harp on a 'regular' sewing machine currently on the market, I believe, is the Husqvarna Viking Designer Epic. It's 12.2" from needle to arm and 5.5" high...and retails for $15K.

Personally, I'd go into counseling in order to make a better connection with a longarm if I had one just sitting around here...but that's just me. :) Good luck with your dilemma.

JustAbitCrazy 11-29-2015 05:26 AM

I think you'll be happiest with a longarm. Try to make friends with yours, and if that doesn't work, research to find one you'll love, sell the one you have and buy the new choice. Any longarm takes practice, practice, practice. None of them are magic wands.

ManiacQuilter2 11-29-2015 06:16 AM

I had no problem quilting under my Bernina small harp. I just carefully managed quilting from the center out on each side. I had a real nice set up with an insert for support on my left side and support for the quilt behind my machine. Probably would be a good idea to get to a major quilt show with a small practice sandwich to test drive the machines there and see if there is anything that will suit your requirements.

Nilla 11-29-2015 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7389438)
I had no problem quilting under my Bernina small harp. I just carefully managed quilting from the center out on each side. I had a real nice set up with an insert for support on my left side and support for the quilt behind my machine. Probably would be a good idea to get to a major quilt show with a small practice sandwich to test drive the machines there and see if there is anything that will suit your requirements.

I can quilt a large quilt on my regular machine also, but I don't enjoy it. I also have a large table with plenty of space to the left and back. It's really not a matter of test driving machines. I'm happy with my sewing machine. I'd really just love to have a quilting machine with feed dogs that can raise and lower, along with a large harp space. My current machine is 10" I believe, while a quilting machine could easily be 16".

Nilla 11-29-2015 07:02 AM

Personally, I'd go into counseling in order to make a better connection with a longarm if I had one just sitting around here...but that's just me. :) Good luck with your dilemma.[/QUOTE]

Haha! I tried for about 3 years. I had very good support from my dealer. They talked me through many issues, gave me additional lessons when I asked and came out to my house to adjust the machine when I couldn't get it right. I just get so stressed out when I think of facing all that work. Yes, for me it feels like work. :(

Manalto 11-29-2015 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Nilla (Post 7389485)
Yes, for me it feels like work. :(

That's the kiss of death. I hope you find a machine that works for you. Have you considered an industrial?

ghostrider 11-29-2015 07:50 AM

Don't forget that the height of the throat can make a huge difference in the ease of use when quilting, so consider that when you look at domestics. Look at the entire area, not just the needle to arm length.

dunster 11-29-2015 07:53 AM

It sounds like you just don't enjoy the quilting part of quilting, and that's perfectly okay. Many people enjoy making tops. Have you considered sending your tops out to be quilted? You could get a lot of tops quilted for what you'll get for your longarm.

My other thought is that perhaps your longarm isn't the right one for you. What about it don't you like?

Tartan 11-29-2015 07:57 AM

Once you have the ease of "drawing" with the longarm, it's going to be hard to go back to guiding the quilt under a sewing machine. Hope you find a machine that will work for you.