Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilty New Year's Resolution (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilty-new-years-resolution-t273589.html)

pyffer3 12-22-2015 07:33 AM

Quilty New Year's Resolution

I have been thinking for some time that I would like to do something for the local residents at the nursing home for Christmas. I have contributed to the fund to provide them with personal care/hygiene products, but I decided my New Year's Resolution is to make a small lap quilt for every resident for Christmas next year. That's approximately 60......so I need to get on the ball and get started day 1!!!!
What do you plan to resolve to do in 2016?

DebraK 12-22-2015 07:53 AM

Nothing so ambitious or admirable as that. Main goal is to dwindle my material goods. Finish, finish, finish.

I'll never be finished until I stop ;-)

pocoellie 12-22-2015 07:54 AM

Before doing this huge endeavor, I suggest you talk to the person in charge of the home. A friend of mine and I, were going to do the same for our local home, but were told, that if the resident died and the relatives of said person, didn't want the quilt, then the home simply threw the quilt in the garbage. We asked, why, since they wouldn't have anyone's name on them, they didn't give us any good reason, just that's their "policy". Needless, to say, we haven't made any quilts for the home, and instead now make them for kids with cancer.

pyffer3 12-22-2015 08:09 AM

that's a great idea pocoellie. I will check with the home after the first of the year

sprice 12-22-2015 08:12 AM

I have found over the years sometimes it's not so easy to give quilts away. Remember making a couple gorgeous kitty wall hangings for an animal rescue group and the folks just didn't get it. Thought they would make good "pads" for the cats. Project Linus seems to have an endless need for quilts not just for little kids but older kids, too. We get feedback that they are very much appreciated. I agree with pocoellie, inquire before moving ahead. Very nice gesture on your part, pyffer3.

sassysews2 12-22-2015 08:20 AM

My guild used to make bed quilts for the nursing home in our county and when they started requesting more quilts that they had residents, an inquiry reported that the staff was taking the quilts for their own use. We had stipulated that the quilts were to belong to the residents or their families but apparently they didn't honor that request. Needless to say they lost our contribution, how sad that the residents lost out due to the dishonesty of the home.

sewbizgirl 12-22-2015 08:28 AM

My resolution is to use up some of my huge 2.5" squares collection in some quilts! I have too many to store, and won't be able to take part in any more squares swaps until I get that collection dwindled down. So that's my goal....

gramajo 12-22-2015 08:36 AM

I want to finish up a number of UFOs and then start reducing my stash. It will outlive me, though my DD will get whatever's left. Her stash is as large as mine.

tessagin 12-22-2015 08:48 AM

I am going to use up my stash. Lord know I have plenty.

Doggramma 12-22-2015 08:50 AM

Wow, that's a wonderful goal! I only hope to finish more of what I start next year.