Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   How to hang on a steel door (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/how-hang-steel-door-t274095.html)

RugosaB 01-04-2016 06:03 AM

How to hang on a steel door

5 Attachment(s)
After posting a pic of my Snowflake hanging on my metal front door, I received a question on how I hung it. In case anyone else would like to know, or has a better way to share, I'm telling my way here.

I put triangles in the top corners of the hanging. The snowflake is one that I could use any corner because it really doesn't have a 'top' so I put triangles in each corner.

My husband cut a small board as wide as the hanging ALMOST. It's a tiny bit shorter so that it fits snugly, but small enough to slide up.

I bought some magnets at the store Menards? Lowes? Home Depot? They're about 1 1/4 inch round

I also bought some 3M Command hangers with metal hooks, and with the sticky tab that you need to attach, and stuck one to each of 2 magnets.

When I make the hangings I make them a size that fits the boards so I just change them and don't have to cut new ones.

Then I hung both magnets on the door and the hooks hold the small board

Since there are 2 hooks it's easy to center it so it hangs straight

To the person that sent me a private message with the question - I can't figure out how to reply privately to a message I already read so I am hoping you see this. I can't even remember your name!! (sorry)

ManiacQuilter2 01-04-2016 06:17 AM

Are you hanging it just during the holiday? Fabric will fade with direct and even indirect sunlight. Glad you have that nice glass storm door to keep it out of the weather. I think Command strips are the best invention since sliced bread. :)

Tartan 01-04-2016 07:06 AM

My son got me a magnetic wreath holder for my metal door. It is very powerful and it has a little hanging hook. Check out after Christmas sales at your hardware or home building store.

RugosaB 01-04-2016 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7423282)
My son got me a magnetic wreath holder for my metal door. It is very powerful and it has a little hanging hook. Check out after Christmas sales at your hardware or home building store.

Until this hanging, that's what I used, but I had trouble keeping it even. It would be perfect for an item with a hanging cord.

I've thought about the fading, and to tell you the truth, I LIKE making these so I guess when I think it's too faded, I get to make another one!

Onebyone 01-04-2016 12:24 PM

I use strong magnets, no hooks. I put one magnet on the quilt top and one on the door. I love your snowflake.

Sabrina 01-05-2016 04:20 AM

I have used a magnetic curtain rod on a steel door. The magnet has been strong enough to hold
good size quilts. Ends have decorative knobs on them that blended very nicely with my quilts.
Very simple and relatively inexpensive.

Sabrina

donnajean 01-05-2016 04:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm using magnets to hold my fireplace draft stopper quilt. I have room at the top for the magnets to sit. I was not aware of magnetic curtain rods

lindaschipper 01-05-2016 06:43 AM

The magnetic curtain rods can be purchased at Walmart...usually across the isle from regular curtain rods.

junegerbracht 01-06-2016 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper (Post 7424351)
The magnetic curtain rods can be purchased at Walmart...usually across the isle from regular curtain rods.

I too use these - they come in several sizes and are adjustable.

misspriss 01-06-2016 06:05 AM

I saw a door quilt made from oil cloth. She used colors and patterns. I use as magnetic rod on the side of my fridge to hold a towel.