Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Block position labels (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/block-position-labels-t274559.html)

Reb 01-15-2016 05:07 PM

Block position labels

I can't leave my blocks layed out between the times I get to sew. Does anyone have a method they use to mark the block row and column position? I've used paper but I'd like something reusable as this will be a ongoing problem. Thanks for any suggestions!

Bree123 01-15-2016 05:35 PM

Good old paper plates. I label the bottom of the paper plates 1A, 1B, 1C, 2A, 2B, 2C, and so forth. If it's going to be longer than just overnight, I will put them in Ziplock bags. I like the paper plates because they are easy to stack & keep together right on/next to my sewing table. I mostly use it for doing applique as I don't do a lot of intricate piecing.

If you are looking for something to label the pieces within a block as well, they make pins for that.

katier825 01-15-2016 06:08 PM

once my blocks are made, I take a picture for reference, then pin them together in order, a bundle for each row. I keep the pin at the top so I always know which direction the block goes. I used a fine point sharpie to "number" some flat head pins. It is much cheaper than buying a set of numbered ones.

GailG 01-15-2016 06:14 PM

For labeling blocks rows and columns, I use the mini post it notes. To place block pieces together I use cardboards kept from scrapbooking paper packs.

Reb 01-15-2016 06:28 PM

Thanks all. I think a combination of your methods will help out. I appreciate you responding!

GrammieJan 01-15-2016 06:44 PM

I made for myself about 7 or 8 strips of white fabric about 3/4 to 1 inch wide and 2 inches long. Then I used a Sharpie and marked on them (for instance) R1 B1 for the first row, and so on. I pin them on the top block when the blocks for that row are all stacked, beginning on the left side of quilt. When finished with them I just pin them in order. Oh, I also draw a little arrow on them, pointing right if I want all those block seams pressed to the right, and next row, the arrow points left. I just keep these to use over and over.

tulip43 01-15-2016 07:10 PM

you can cut up an old calendar and use the numbers for keeping track of rows, they can be used over and over also

zozee 01-15-2016 08:26 PM

I use 1" round white stickers from the dollar store. I use black sharpie to label row A1, A2, etc for the first row. b1, b2. Etc for second, and so on. If I change my mind about block positions, the stickers are easy to peel off and switch. Much easier than pinning labels on, much more dependable than post-its that just have a narrow strip of adhesive, and the tabs are cheap! I take a picture after each arrangement I play around with.

Tartan 01-15-2016 09:26 PM

I think they sell block and row markers but you can make your own. Print out row and block numbers and take them to a office store and have them laminated. You can use a hole punch to have a spot to pin them to your blocks.

DOTTYMO 01-15-2016 11:09 PM

I use sticky labels or piece of paper pinned to the block. Like the idea of using a sharpie permanent marker to put numbers on flat headed pins.