Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique Circle Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-circle-question-t275119.html)

greaterstill338 01-28-2016 06:00 PM

Applique Circle Question

Okay -- I am working on an applique quilt that calls for tiny circles, a bit smaller that 1/2" in diameter. I have tried several techniques, and nothing gives me a smooth edge. I am contemplating leaving them off altogether. Do any of you pros have a fool proof method for getting tiny circles to turn out looking good? Thanks in advance.

Mazda 01-28-2016 06:04 PM

Can you make them any larger?

quiltingcandy 01-28-2016 06:11 PM

Have you tried doing a yo-yo type using a dime, or small piece of cardboard then starch it - let it dry then remove the insert? I was watching an old episode of "Simply Quilts" and a lady showed this style when she was making an appliqué quilt with grapes in the design.

GrammieJan 01-28-2016 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy (Post 7449152)
Have you tried doing a yo-yo type using a dime, or small piece of cardboard then starch it - let it dry then remove the insert? I was watching an old episode of "Simply Quilts" and a lady showed this style when she was making an appliqué quilt with grapes in the design.

I was thinking the same thing. But if the dime is too large, try using a very small button.

Doggramma 01-28-2016 06:18 PM

I use template plastic and a circle template (it comes on a rectangle of various size circles) from the office store. So, I trace the circle onto the plastic with a Pigma pen and cut it out. Then cut a little bigger circle of fabric (using the circle template to trace that too). Using a double thread, take small running stitches along the outside edge of the fabric, and leave the tails. Position the template plastic circle in the middle of the wrong side of fabric. Pull up the thread around the plastic. Iron the circle and starch it. Then remove the plastic. It makes a perfect circle.

Bree123 01-28-2016 11:29 PM

Karen Kay Buckley Perfect Circles or otherwise if it's not the right size, I do what Lori wrote. Sometimes I use empty cereal boxes. If you need more than one of the same shape, it's worth it to invest in the Mylar (heat-resistant) template plastic because the regular kind will warp after ironing. Instead of Pigma pens, I have a template pencil. I bought it at JAF. It wipes off the template with a paper towel but stays when I need it to.

After I've drawn up the edges, I paint starch on them with a Q-Tip so it's nice & saturated and then press with a dry iron.

NJ Quilter 01-29-2016 05:19 AM

This was going to be my suggestion as well. We must have all watched the same Simply Quilts episode! Oh, how I miss that show.

Geri B 01-29-2016 06:28 AM

Go to the hardware store and make a collection of metal washers.......

susie-susie-susie 01-29-2016 07:08 AM

I do the same thing that others suggested. Takes a little longer, but makes a perfect circle, no points around the edge. I sometimes make a pattern out of freezer paper doubled and iron the pattern to the back of the fabric. It can be used several times so if I need a lot of circles I make several. I do run a basting thread to gather the edge--gives me something to do while watching TV in the evening (if I don't keep my hands busy, I usually fall asleep).
Sue

ManiacQuilter2 01-29-2016 07:41 AM

I too remember this episode. Just be sure with your running stitch is tightly tied.