Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Notion collections. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/notion-collections-t275329.html)

DOTTYMO 02-02-2016 11:46 PM

Notion collections.

I don't store fabric, I collect notions. I am terrible at buying notions, rulers pins mats books etc. Does anyone else do this. If I read on here about a new notion tool or mat I have to buy it. I also have a large collection of books, 4 large bookcases. My house is bursting with the stuff.
I need a big warning button which comes on when I'm getting ready to purchase something, especially the repeats.

Bueniebabe 02-03-2016 12:40 AM

Join the club. For me it is rulers. I bought zippers the other day to have on hand, 2.49 for a 12 inch. I haven't sewed a zipper in for more than 36 years. Have a new Pfaff creative 4.5 I bought a year ago. I also have tons of books and patterns. Husband thinks I will never make everything.

GailG 02-03-2016 04:11 AM

When I "lose" all of my rippers, I restock. And I really NEED to stop printing out pictures and patterns of beautiful quilts. It would take me three lifetimes to all of the ones I have in binders.

quilterpurpledog 02-03-2016 04:18 AM

It is the paper stuff that is my weak point. It is just so easy to copy and print ideas, pictures, patterns, etc. I do have them all organized in notebooks. However, I have so many that I forget about them. Every now and then, I look for an idea and am amazed at all the ideas I have stored. Like stated above, I have enough for several lifetimes of sewing. However, I also have the fabric to do it with.

Annaquilts 02-03-2016 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by GailG (Post 7454472)
When I "lose" all of my rippers, I restock. And I really NEED to stop printing out pictures and patterns of beautiful quilts. It would take me three lifetimes to all of the ones I have in binders.

Having a pintrest can help keep down the printing out of pictures and it organizes them all in one place.

Onebyone 02-03-2016 04:45 AM

If I see a new notion or quilting item that I would like to have and can afford it then I buy it, I don't think twice about it or feel like I have to justify it. I like trying new things.

NJ Quilter 02-03-2016 05:15 AM

I'm like you...no fabric stash per se (just leftovers) but am usually a sucker for notions. Not books so much. Just no real space. But notions...you can always find a little spot to stash those!

PaperPrincess 02-03-2016 05:22 AM

I'm a gadget gal too! I inherited this trait from my dad, a woodworker. He had lots of gadgets, gizmos & gauges and used to say 'the proper tool for the proper job'. If I see a tool that makes a task easier, especially if it promises a more precise result, I'm there with my checkbook. My only problem is finding the darned tool when I need it!
I really admire those quilters who make stunning, elaborate quilts using only a 6X24 ruler.
Don't get me started on books! Someone posts a quilt here, I go to Amazon & see that there's a used copy of the book for a penny. Whoo Hoo! (I just ignore that shipping charge...)

toverly 02-03-2016 05:26 AM

I collect gadgets and say to myself they are Christmas gifts to quilting friends. Sometimes they are, most of the time they are not.

ksdot417 02-03-2016 05:41 AM

I'm a collector of all things quilting - notions, fabric, patterns, .... I figure it's not the worse thing I could do and it's certainly a lot of fun!