Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Am I the only one who doesn't like Bloc Loc rulers? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/am-i-only-one-who-doesnt-like-bloc-loc-rulers-t276339.html)

Wholeheart Mom 03-03-2016 11:54 AM

Am I the only one who doesn't like Bloc Loc rulers?

I purchased the 6" HST ruler from my LQS. I thought it was pricey at $27, but after hearing all the rave reviews and watching the video that made it seem so easy, I took the plunge.

Maybe it's just me and there is a learning curve involved with it, but I am having a lot of slippage and inaccurate cuts. I watched the video closely and made sure I was placing the ruler correctly, but it doesn't stay "locked" like I thought it would, and tends to shift. Maybe I just need to fiddle with it some more or add some anti-slip dots to the back, but does anyone else struggle with it?

PaperPrincess 03-03-2016 12:25 PM

I've never had any issues and love mine. The ruler only works one way. Make sure that the seam allowance is in the ditch. and the edge of the ditch is firmly against the sewn seam. I also usually use mine with a rotating cutting mat. If you don't have one, then just use a small mat and turn the mat as you cut. Finally, don't use a dull blade. The duller the blade, the more pressure you need to put on the blade and the tendency is to also push harder against whatever ruler you are using increasing the possibility of slipping.

ManiacQuilter2 03-03-2016 01:38 PM

I have never bought or used one because they are so expensive.

AudreyB 03-03-2016 03:07 PM

I agree with you. I bought one and liked it somewhat. Then I found the June Taylor Perfect Half-Square & Quarter-Square Triangles ruler, which I absolutely love. I don't even know where my Bloc Loc is any more

Ginaky 03-03-2016 04:04 PM

I would never part with any of my Bloc-Loc rulers! I have 2 of the flying geese ones and 4 sizes of the half square ones, plus another one I can't remember the name, but it's good for strips.

Material Witness 03-03-2016 05:31 PM

I eagerly bought one for a quilt that's still in the planning stages, so I haven't used it yet. If it's slipping, adding a square of athletic tape, the opaque whitish stuff, works like creative grids.

Onebyone 03-03-2016 05:42 PM

The first few times I used the Block loc I thought I'm not liking this. But I kept on using it instead of putting it away. Now I use it all the time even when I use a die cut to make my HST I use the Block Loc to trim when needed. Piecing a lot of hsts they will not all be the same no matter what method you use to make them. I bought the strip Block Loc and so far I like it a lot for cutting sewn together strips. I can tell a difference in the accuracy of the cuts.

Wholeheart Mom 03-04-2016 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7483453)
The first few times I used the Block loc I thought I'm not liking this. But I kept on using it instead of putting it away. Now I use it all the time even when I use a die cut to make my HST I use the Block Loc to trim when needed. Piecing a lot of hsts they will not all be the same no matter what method you use to make them. I bought the strip Block Loc and so far I like it a lot for cutting sewn together strips. I can tell a difference in the accuracy of the cuts.

Thank you for your reply. I think it may be a learning curve, and maybe my expectations were too high. I am going to keep using it and hope that one day it will be become my best friend :)

Wholeheart Mom 03-04-2016 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7483216)
I've never had any issues and love mine. The ruler only works one way. Make sure that the seam allowance is in the ditch. and the edge of the ditch is firmly against the sewn seam. I also usually use mine with a rotating cutting mat. If you don't have one, then just use a small mat and turn the mat as you cut. Finally, don't use a dull blade. The duller the blade, the more pressure you need to put on the blade and the tendency is to also push harder against whatever ruler you are using increasing the possibility of slipping.

The rotating part is where I am having issues. The video makes it look so easy, but every time I go to rotate, it just kind of slips and drags. I may try it on my rotating mat and see if that helps. Thanks for the help!

Sewnoma 03-04-2016 07:33 AM

I struggle with HSTs so for me the BlocLoc rulers are a huge help. I wish they came in larger sizes!

I hope you get friendly with yours, they really help me. :)