Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Shorted on fabric--need ideas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/shorted-fabric-need-ideas-t277891.html)

greaterexp 04-19-2016 03:15 PM

Shorted on fabric--need ideas

1 Attachment(s)
You folks are always so helpful and ingenious. I was shorted on fabric, either by the pattern or by the store, but I figured I would just make a lap quilt for a raffle quilt. Everyone in my little church group thought a twin-size quilt would go over much better. I don't have nearly enough fabrics left to make any more blocks, and I'm about 16 inches shorter than a twin. Any ideas on extending the length on one or both ends without detracting from the main pattern? The only fabrics I have yardage of is the black and the cream. Ideas? Bless you in advance!

PaperPrincess 04-19-2016 03:45 PM

I would make reverse blocks with the black & cream. So for instance using the red block as a model, use cream instead of the red and black instead of the cream.

cjsews 04-19-2016 03:51 PM

How about a cream border. Then some black flying geese and another plain border. If not enough black you could do geese into two opposite corners

Jeanne S 04-19-2016 03:53 PM

Seems if you are putting it in a raffle as a lap quilt or a throw size, it is OK as is! I don't think throws need to be as long as a twin---I rarely make them that long. No other ideas, sorry.

bjchad 04-19-2016 04:21 PM

Do you have enough scraps of the colors to do a piano key stripe for each end? You could alternate with either cream or black to stretch out the colors. Do a narrow cream strip, a narrow black (both in the same width as the sashing), then the piano keys including the cream and then another narrow black strip.
Alternate color - cream - another color - cream etc for the piano keys.

Gay 04-19-2016 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
could you make more blocks just using the black and cream, half the width of the coloured ones, and add a row top and bottom.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]548231[/ATTACH]

quiltingshorttimer 04-19-2016 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by cjsews (Post 7527913)
How about a cream border. Then some black flying geese and another plain border. If not enough black you could do geese into two opposite corners

I like this, but another idea is a black and white piano key (maybe like real keyboard??) that would like fine with the solids. Nice quilt!
Don't know about your church, but I've done 2 for mine (one auction, one raffle) and unfortunately neither raised much $$. A recent king size batik that a friend donated to an auction only raised about $450--although her quilt the year before raised about $1000

bakermom 04-19-2016 05:38 PM

I would keep it the way it is. It is YOUR donation, if the quilt group thinks a bigger one would be better let them make one. go with your original plan

Tartan 04-19-2016 06:32 PM

I would buy enough black fabric with all the other colours in it. I had a couple that would go, one had rainbow squiggles and triangles in primary colours and another that had polka dots.

Sheri.a 04-19-2016 08:56 PM

It's stunning. I like the idea of keeping it as a lap quilt--far more functional. I also think any thing you add will take away from its character.