Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Where to buy large fabric. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/where-buy-large-fabric-t278164.html)

Mimmis57 04-28-2016 10:28 AM

Where to buy large fabric.

I'm trying to buy 9 yards of fabric for some kitchen curtains but Jo Anns only has 8 yards on a bolt. Does anyone know where I can find some? Thanks.

lynnie 04-28-2016 11:30 AM

try asking them if they can get you the yardage you need from the warehouse.

ManiacQuilter2 04-28-2016 12:22 PM

You might looks elsewhere for it. Does the fabric have a name and manufacturer??

Feather3 04-28-2016 03:57 PM

If the bolt normally has more than 8 yards JoAnns can order it in for you. You can also use a coupon to save on the cost. Take the bolt to the cutting table & ask if they can order it. I don't remember if you need your coupon then or when you pick it up.

Jane Quilter 04-28-2016 04:15 PM

I make a lot of king size quilts that require 9+ yards for backing. I always found quilting stores carried about 13 yds on a bolt so you could shop those stores. But on line stores are your best bets for large yardage, and if they use cuts and maybe 2 dye lots (which they wont do without your permission), put them on separate windows and you will never notice.

quilterpurpledog 04-28-2016 05:24 PM

Most bolts of quilting fabric are 15 yards. If JoAnn's only has 8 I would guess they special order it that way or do it in the warehouse to keep people from using the coupon for a discount on such a large single purchase. I think I would look elsewhere.

gmcsewer 04-29-2016 07:09 AM

When I was shopping for drapery fabric, the fabric shops told me that the fabric came in 15 yard pieces. Otherwise, figure where you would cut and order the closest to 8 yrds in one piece and another piece from another bolt. Make sure they are of the same dye lot.

MargeD 04-29-2016 12:21 PM

I am surprised that your JoAnn's store did not offer to check other stores to see if they have it available. I once needed about 9-10 yards of a backing fabric, and when the first JoAnn's I went to did not have enough, they called around to other area JoAnn's and I was able to get enough backing for the raffle quilt I was making for my church's holiday fair. Always ask.

NJ Quilter 04-29-2016 04:31 PM

I believe you can order larger quantities from JAF either in store or online. I want to think I ordered my last batch of drapery fabric from them on a single bolt and I'm sure it was more than 8 yds (I was doing 4 windows!). Give them a call to check.

thread mess 04-30-2016 05:27 AM

I'm surprised the JAF didn't offer to order it for you. You would get the current sale price/or applicable coupon. Free shipping to the store. However, when ordering a large amount, try to know yardage amounts if it is necessary for your order to come in pieces. i.e. - 2 pieces of 5 yds for a 10 yd need, etc.