Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Am I "less than"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/am-i-less-than-t278591.html)

NoraB 05-12-2016 09:15 PM

Am I "less than"?

I have a longarm quilting machine (Innova). Am I "less than" a quilter because I love to use Pantographs? I love making quilts as gifts and charity quilts and have never done commissioned quilts. I have quilted 2 Quilts of Valor quilts and have volunteered to do a few more. But, it seems the impression is that my quilting is "less than" because I do all-over quilting with pantographs. They would rather have someone else "custom quilt".

I think of practicing free motion, but after I've put time and $$ into a quilt.....I don't want to use it as practice.

So, am I "less than" free motion quilters? Are there tiers of quilting skills? Is the master level the free motion/custom quilting that folks pay hundreds of dollars for? Should that be something we all strive for? Am I wasting my longarm's capabilities?

Just wondering out loud.......I have always been proud of my quilts.....but now, I'm wondering.........hmmmmmmm.

Peckish 05-12-2016 09:37 PM

Okay this is said with love..... <3

Why do you care what others think? People who quilt for charities have big hearts and can't possibly be "less than". If you feel unappreciated and looked-down on, maybe take your lovely self to another charity that will appreciate your work.

If you want to practice free motion, get some inexpensive muslin, or use scraps or old sheets, and make quilts for your local Humane Society. Dogs don't care what the quilting looks like.

As long as YOU'RE happy with your quilting skills, that's all that matters, IMHO.

MadQuilter 05-12-2016 09:44 PM

You are a quilter! The nice thing about quilting these days is that there are SOOOOO many techniques from start to finish. Some people use DSM, others use a mid-arm or long-arm and some tie the layers together. Some finish their own quilts and others pay LAs to finish their flimsies. Each option/each method results in a quilt. If you are proud of your quilts and your customers are happy, then QUILT ON! sister. There is NOTHING wrong with Pantos, or SID, or ties, or FMQ........ and neither is better or worse than the other.

DOTTYMO 05-12-2016 10:07 PM

You are a professional quilter. You have made your flimsy ready to quilt you select the panto to go on the flimsy based on style and blocks( this is a skill) .You have to tie end etc so a great deal of work goes into each quilt you make. A quilt is made of many different parts you are doing just one section the same as numerous other Laq.
enjoy what you are doing.

sewlittletime 05-12-2016 10:23 PM

All I got to say is, I wish I had a long arm quilt machine. I would Panotgram all day long ! And I would be a professional pantogrammer lol whether they like it or not.

sewbizgirl 05-12-2016 10:28 PM

I'm sorry someone made you feel inferior. Let it roll right off your back. Pantos are beautiful quilting too!

rainbowcat 05-12-2016 10:35 PM

Actually, I lvoe pantograms and all over quilting. I think, it doesnt take so much away from the piecing. There is a place for custom quilting, but I totally prefer all over!

You are doing a great job, thank you for taking your time doing charity quilts.

notmorecraft 05-13-2016 12:25 AM

I would love to have a longarm and pantographs, the designs are beautiful, who cares if you don't free motion, be proud and take your skills elsewhere, happy quilting xx

gramajo 05-13-2016 12:28 AM

I agree with sewlittletime!!!!

coffeecozy 05-13-2016 01:57 AM

Madquilter said it perfectly.
Quilts are functional, beautiful and made with love and they should be made the way you love to make them.