Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   need help cutting an accurate square (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-cutting-accurate-square-t278675.html)

dray965 05-15-2016 03:12 PM

need help cutting an accurate square

I feel so dumb by asking this, but here goes. Is there an easy way to cut a 5-1/4" square? I don't have a special ruler, just a regular ruler one would use with a rotary cutter and I've already messed it up. :( I measured and cut but My cutter went wonky on me and I've already messed up the 1st square.

I've got several more to go and since I'm working from a kit, I'm not sure I'll have enough material to make mistakes. :)

After that one went south on me I quit and came straight to you girls. I'm sure some of you can advise me on how to measure and then cut just one. I know how to cut strip and THEN cut squares, but I have never had to cut just ONE 5 1/4" square from several of my fabrics. Yikes!

Help!

nativetexan 05-15-2016 03:19 PM

there are several videos on youtube. cutting accurate squares for quilting. you might try there. visual is always helpful.

dray965 05-15-2016 04:10 PM

I've tried googling. It just comes up with 'how to square up your fabric', which is not what I'm needing. I'll try youtube.

dray965 05-15-2016 05:19 PM

no luck. Went to youtube video and all was same as googling results. Either demos on how to straighten the fabric or how to cut strips to turn into squares. I just want to know an easy way to cut ONE 5 1/4 " square out of about 1/2 yare of fabric without just drawing it off and cutting it out with scissor.

I guess I'm stuck doing it that way though. :( Lots of drawing and lot of scissoring. Rotary cutting ha me spoiled. LOL

Stitchnripper 05-15-2016 05:27 PM

You could cut a 5 1/4 strip from your fabric and then subcut the other way 5 1/4 inches and you'd have your square.

needles3thread 05-15-2016 05:30 PM

To keep your ruler from slipping, put sticky sandpaper dots on the bottom side next to the fabric.

MadQuilter 05-15-2016 05:42 PM

I would first cut 5 1/4" wide strips.I would put a piece of painter's tape along the 5 1/4" line and cut the squares from the stipe.

wesing 05-15-2016 06:48 PM

Try cutting about a 5.75" squarish piece out of your fabric. Cutting your square out of the smaller piece should be easier than cutting out of the yardage.

ragamuffin 05-15-2016 07:32 PM

Tear a piece of cardboard from the back of a tablet or something. The sides should be straight. At the one corner, measure over 5-1/4". Go to the other side of the same corner and measure 5-1/4". On the ruler you will find 5",
then if it has a short line (1/8") and then a larger line, that is the 1/4". If you cut this out and lay it on your cutting mat,
this should be correct. If it is off a little, trim it to fit. Make sure it is square. If you use a piece of fabric, use a piece from
something else, and cut a square. Fold it in half and if all lines match, it is square. I hope this helps.

BETTY62 05-15-2016 07:35 PM

If you live close to a fabric store, drop in for a visit as I'm sure their staff will be glad to give you free assistance with this issue.