Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HELP!!! Rotary cutter won't work (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-rotary-cutter-wont-work-t279316.html)

lynnie 06-05-2016 09:36 AM

HELP!!! Rotary cutter won't work

I put a new blade in the right way. turned the mat over, skips when it's cutting. does anyone have any advice for me? It's cruddy out and raining and i want to cut out a new quilt, and it's being stubborn. I have to make 3-4 passes and even then use the scissors. any advice is welcomed. thanks in advance

bearisgray 06-05-2016 09:50 AM

Try a different blade.

Sometimes even a new Olfa blade is "bad"

EasyPeezy 06-05-2016 09:52 AM

Have you tried loosening the screw a little? Sometimes it doesn't work if it's too tight.
Otherwise it sounds like you might have a dud. Happens to me sometimes when I use
those Harbor Freight blades. I think I'll stick with the original blades from now on.

lynnie 06-05-2016 09:54 AM

it's kinda skipping, if that makes any sense. the old blade did the same thing. is it time to buy a new cutter?

katier825 06-05-2016 10:02 AM

do you have 2 blades stuck together?

ckcowl 06-05-2016 10:13 AM

Sometimes 2 blades stuck together will do that. Also , you stated you flipped your mat over?? I have a mat that I never get good cuts if it is ( wrong side up) have you tried flipping it back over? Why did you flip it? If it has become rough a light ( sanding) will fix it right up. I use fine ( 100 grit) sand paper - or one of those green scrubbies work pretty good.

lynnie 06-05-2016 10:35 AM

i cked, one blade, I flipped the mat because it wasn't cutting on the lt green side, so i flipped to the yellow side, hoping for a better cut. My dh suggested getting a new one, this one is about 32 yrs old. the cutter not the blade. He says he thinks i got my money's worth out of it. it's like underwear, you hate spending on money things people can't see, like a cutter, but you need it. I may just break down and buy a new cutter. while i'm at it, buy some new blades. an expense i can't afford right now, but i want to get this quilt going so i can figure out the scallops. Oh well....

Onebyone 06-05-2016 10:51 AM

Believe it or not this happens to me every now and then and I discovered it is the fabric not the blade. Some fabric will just not cut through in some spots.

emcay 06-05-2016 11:07 AM

Probably not the same problem I had several years ago but my new blade was skipping and since the store I bought it at was an hour away I couldn't return it quickly. I was so aggravated I called the Fiskars customer service to complain. They cheerfully sent me a new blade. Not he speediest solution but what did I expect? Anyway, the second blade did the same thing! It was THEN I realized my cutter was a 65 mm and the blades were 60mm! Talk about feeling stupid! So what else could I do but buy a 60 mm cutter? I'm not sure they still make the cutter anymore, it was a 45/65 combination but I can't complain about their service😉

cjsews 06-05-2016 12:40 PM

Do you need a new mat? They get grooves after so many cuttings and will cause the skipping