Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   My other hobby (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-other-hobby-t279994.html)

slbram17 06-28-2016 09:25 AM

My other hobby

1 Attachment(s)
So many of you have other hobbies as well, so...

I have a quilt in process but also like to take time out to paint. Here's my latest little painting, only 5 x 7 that will fit in a photo frame after the glass is removed.

I think some of you have painting as your other hobby as well. I would love to see your works.

Thanks for looking.

annievee 06-28-2016 09:39 AM

Love this. You have a lot of talent.

Jane Quilter 06-28-2016 09:40 AM

wonderful. you do have talent.

slbram17 06-28-2016 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter (Post 7588870)
wonderful. you do have talent.

so sweet...love you all.

QuiltnNan 06-28-2016 10:39 AM

nicely done

SHELTIE'SMAMA 06-28-2016 11:38 AM

Ever think about painting flowers or butterflies in squares and then making them into a quilt that combines both your hobbies? Or just a lovely picture like the one above and add thread painting to it? One of my dreams -- but my kinders and first graders used to laugh at my feeble attempts and I'd tease back that they shouldn't be laughing quite so hard because they knew what it was I was trying to draw.

bearisgray 06-28-2016 11:46 AM

Three legged chair. You have a lot of detail in a smsll picture.

slbram17 06-28-2016 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7588926)

There's an artist named Marge Kinney who does videos on youtube. She mentioned that she uses photo frames and removes the glass. That way the back of the frame is ready to hang or sit on a surface. I loved the idea so finally got around to doing one myself. I bought a thin wood piece from Home Depot, and my husband will cut it to match the size of the glass that was removed. I am not the fastest painter or quilter for that matter, so thinking it will be more practical just to cut one or two at a time. Otherwise I might end up with a bunch of cuts that won't fit any frame. I have a few frames waiting for me to get to them.

slbram17 06-28-2016 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by SHELTIE'SMAMA (Post 7588924)
Ever think about painting flowers or butterflies in squares and then making them into a quilt that combines both your hobbies? Or just a lovely picture like the one above and add thread painting to it? One of my dreams -- but my kinders and first graders used to laugh at my feeble attempts and I'd tease back that they shouldn't be laughing quite so hard because they knew what it was I was trying to draw.

Flowers can be quite difficult to paint and have them look semi realistic even on the best of surfaces. I have done some fabric painting, but I always go back to painting on wood. I have also tried thread painting a little...not my cut of tea I guess. It's pretty if well done. I even have the hoops I would use to do some of it. It's been a long time and I remember even using a spring that fit around the needle to do the embroidery, without a presser foot. It'would make the worst popping noise.

slbram17 06-28-2016 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7588926)

Probably artistically I should try to reduce the detail, but it must be my nature to paint in that manner. I have seen lovely art that is very non-defined but just enough to identify with the subject matter. Oh well, I enjoy my little attempts. I do have to see something to be able to paint it. I don't trace (or very often, sometimes I trace the outline of a bird because they can be hard to get the right shape) but I do have to have something to look at to design the piece. Calendars can be a great inspiration for me.