Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about fold'n stitch wreath (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-foldn-stitch-wreath-t280345.html)

indymta 07-11-2016 09:50 AM

Question about fold'n stitch wreath

I am slowly working my way thru the pattern and have come to the point where you fuse the 5 inch square over the X opening and zig zag around. I have never done a satin type stitch and am afraid it will be uneven and obvious.
Those of you who have made the wreaths-did you use the setting suggested in the pattern and did you have any trouble going thru the thickness of the material? In all of your pictures, I never saw Zig-zag showing so did you use thread to match the 5 inch square or the fabric with the X cut. Thank you for your help.

ManiacQuilter2 07-11-2016 10:00 AM

Try making up a sample and see how your machine handles the thickness. If you have the original pattern, the video that is slightly different might not help you.

indymta 07-11-2016 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7599413)
Try making up a sample and see how your machine handles the thickness. If you have the original pattern, the video that is slightly different might not help you.

I didn't want to use up my Bosal to try a sample piece as I wouldn't have enough for a second wreath but I think that's what I may have to do. Thanks for the suggestion.

ckcowl 07-12-2016 12:27 AM

For your practice piece just use some scrap batting or a layer of scrap fabric, no reason to use up whatever that Bosal is.

LilaKay 07-12-2016 01:38 AM

/ have an older Kenmore and it went through all thicknesses just fine. Use a larger needle(I used a jean needle 90/14), not satin stitching. One I used the recommended stitches and one I used a decorative stitch.

indymta 07-12-2016 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by LilaKay (Post 7599801)
/ have an older Kenmore and it went through all thicknesses just fine. Use a larger needle(I used a jean needle 90/14), not satin stitching. One I used the recommended stitches and one I used a decorative stitch.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought about using a decorative stitch...I'm more comfortable with that idea!

indymta 07-12-2016 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 7599793)
For your practice piece just use some scrap batting or a layer of scrap fabric, no reason to use up whatever that Bosal is.

That's the product recommended in the pattern...makes the pieces pretty stiff. Not the same as the quilt sandwich so
was concerned about the machine settings to get the right "look".

tessagin 07-12-2016 05:01 AM

Bosal is the suggested stabilizer. I've seen it online for 18"x58" piece at $9.99. One of the things I'm going to do is call my local quilt shop and see if they have it and for how much.

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 7599793)

toverly 07-12-2016 05:23 AM

I did not use a decorative or zig zag. I simply used a straight stitch. It worked fine. Just go slow with a fresh needle. It's amazing how easily it will stitch thru it.

indymta 07-12-2016 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 7599955)
I did not use a decorative or zig zag. I simply used a straight stitch. It worked fine. Just go slow with a fresh needle. It's amazing how easily it will stitch thru it.

Thanks Toverly, that approach is definitely in my comfort zone. I'm one of those people who follow directions to the letter and then get stuck when it isn't something I am comfortable with. Have to learn to think outside the box!