Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Pins, pins, and more pins! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/pins-pins-more-pins-t280614.html)

retiredteacher09 07-20-2016 05:42 PM

Pins, pins, and more pins!

1 Attachment(s)
I volunteer for two different groups and one person in each group knows that I will take unfinished tops and finish them.

A few weeks ago I was given a small bag with 4" squares in it. The note with it said 10 across, 12 down; some sewn. Ok. I understood the meaning but I couldn't figure out why there were pins in some of the squares. I took the finished vertical row and the partially finished vertical row and put them up on my design wall. Then I added the next group of blocks and still was wondering why there were pins in the top block. This row had an extra square in it that must have stuck to the back of another square so I set it aside and continued with the pattern I could see developing. Then I came to another block with pins in it.

Suddenly, it hit me!! Someone had used the pins to mark all the top blocks for the 10 vertical rows! Yes, there were 10 small, almost headless pins in the 4" top block of row 10! Lol!

I realized I used to do this to my horizontal rows when I started quilting but I usually only did 5 rows or so at the same time. How quickly I forgot!

I'm thankful none of the pins had rusted and when I ran an iron over the fabric, the holes did close up.

If you look closely at the top rows, you can see some of the pins reflecting the light.

Connie

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554352[/ATTACH]

roguequilter 07-20-2016 06:27 PM

looks like the beginning of a Trip Around the World quilt. lovely colors and i'm so glad you worked out the pin mystery in time! :)

GailG 07-20-2016 07:10 PM

I used to use those almost headless pins when I did garment sewing. When I got to where those little pins were difficult to work with because of the arthritis fingers, I switched to the longer glass head pins. BTW, this will make someone a darling quilt.

heather1949 07-20-2016 09:05 PM

Beautiful thanks for sharing :)

jbj137 07-21-2016 04:00 AM

*** It turned out really nice. Glad you found the pins before they found you.

ManiacQuilter2 07-21-2016 05:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Great job. I pick up the discarded blocks from some unknown quilter and to me, it's a challenge to figure out what to do with these unwanted blocks. Here is a quilt I made out of the HSTs. I had to trim them down so they would all be the same size. Ready to start quilting it in a day or so. It is for a person in a wheelchair:

jjs56 07-21-2016 06:32 AM

Long ago I got in the habit of putting a pin in the top left of each top left block. It still helps me keep track. (Left a pin in a quilt I made for my son. He was scratched by it one night, but he's a tough Marine, so no real harm done.:eek:

QUILTNMO 07-21-2016 09:50 AM

well when i go to layer a quilt i always pin a little saying row 1 or top row i take it out when i satrt quilting just a habit

oksewglad 07-21-2016 11:16 AM

When making multiples of the same block, like a Bonnie Hunter pattern, I pin groups of 10 together to keep track of numbers...hopefully I get back to the project before the pins rust:D

Jane Quilter 07-21-2016 12:09 PM

Beautiful wheelchair quilt.