Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ikea Fabric....Thoughts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ikea-fabric-thoughts-t280657.html)

ILoveToQuilt 07-22-2016 12:20 PM

Ikea Fabric....Thoughts?

I am thinking of taking a trip to Ikea and hear they sell fabric. Has anyone bought fabric from Ikea? Is it quilt cotton weight or more like duck cloth/home dec weight?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bree123 07-22-2016 12:31 PM

The only stuff I've ever seen there is the same fabrics they use for their finished pillows, curtains & upholstery, but perhaps it depends on the IKEA. They're usually pretty helpful when I call.

KalamaQuilts 07-22-2016 12:40 PM

Everything I've seen is decorator weight.

soccertxi 07-22-2016 12:41 PM

I have seen different weights. I bought some cotton duck weight for bags and I have also used some bed sheets for quilt backing. As always, use your own good judgement.

RST 07-22-2016 02:41 PM

They have a limited selection of cotton lighter-weight yardage, but it's a great price and is very suitable for quilt backings. It's wider than standard US fabric lines, so you often don't have to piece a backing. I've also found excellent choices in the duvet covers and sheets -- while it's not "quilt shop quality" it has held up very well to steady use in our home, and I have no qualms using as a backing for gift quilts. The styles tend to be quite modern, so have been very popular with young adult recipients.

Stitchnripper 07-22-2016 06:21 PM

I haven't seen any lighter weight fabric at the IKEA near me but I did buy a chambray duvet cover and cut it apart and it worked well and recently I got a cotton print duvet cover and cut it apart for a backing. I'm quilting it now and so far so good. It is a little looser weave than quilter's cotton but this quilt is for me so I think it will be fine.

DOTTYMO 07-22-2016 09:57 PM

Must go to IKEA as I've never seen loose fabric on sale only curtains and bedding.

notmorecraft 07-22-2016 10:57 PM

IKEA near me has both heavyweight canvas type, great for bags/totes, lighter weight which is great for quilt backing.

youngduncan 07-24-2016 04:05 AM

I think it depends on the local store. The one here in Houston used to have a much larger fabric department. There were bolts of fabric in several different weights. I bought quite a few yard of white fabric printed with music which have become a floor-length tablecloth for a 60" table, luncheon napkins, chair covers, and a smaller cloth for a service table. The remainder I cut into squares and made a quilt for a favorite graduating senior who had been very active in choir.

I saw the same fabric in a very clever quilt at the Houston quilt show; it had birds appliqued on it -- delightful to look at.

Check out your local IKEA a see what you can find. You might be surprised.

ManiacQuilter2 07-24-2016 06:54 AM

Haven't been there in over a decade but their fabric wasn't the light cotton we use for quilt. More of a heavy fabric used in curtains.