Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Take 5 RAG Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/take-5-rag-quilt-t282505.html)

clsurz 09-26-2016 07:59 AM

Take 5 RAG Quilt

2 Attachment(s)
As an experiment I decided to see if one could make a Take 5 Rag Quilt.

I used my AccuQuilt Studio and GO rag dies to cut the pieces.

It is not totally perfect like I'd want it to be but it can be done and I do plan to make more of them, perfecting them, as I make them.

I did a search on the world wide web to see if it had ever been done before and could not find anyone that has done it, of course that does not mean it hasn't ever been done.

Since I wasn't sure how it would come out if at all I only made 9 - Take 5 Rag Blocks and sewed it up and it made a very nice baby rag quilt.

For a first attempt I am very pleased with it and learned a couple tricks along the way to make sure it matched up.

Anyway here are a couple photo's of the pieces used to make each Take 5 rag block and the completed Take 5 Rag Quilt.

RobertaK1 09-26-2016 08:10 AM

I was give pieces of fleece, I was thinking of using them in a quilt like that. I would like to know the tricks you learned along the way, might be helpful. Thanks

Jordan 09-26-2016 08:30 AM

They turned out very nice. Love the colors.

Plee1053 09-26-2016 08:38 AM

Pretty and colorful! I have 10" flannels that I would like to use in a rag quilt!

Homespun 09-27-2016 03:43 AM

Looks great!!!

orangeroom 09-27-2016 03:46 AM

That is a very colorful rag quilt! Cute pattern! I too, am interested in what tricks and tips you learned along the way. Would they apply to piecing a regular rag quilt?

red-warrior 09-27-2016 05:07 AM

So bright and cheerful for baby!

QuiltnNan 09-28-2016 03:38 AM

very nicely done

QUILTNMO 09-29-2016 10:33 AM

great rag quilt!!!

clsurz 09-29-2016 01:55 PM

Tricks learned

Originally Posted by RobertaK1 (Post 7661938)
I would like to know the tricks you learned along the way, might be helpful. Thanks

Tricks: Guess its not really a trick but paying attention to what one is doing when sewing.

In basic rag quilt making it is usually done only with a square of one size and mostly one stiches from end to end diagonally with an X.

With having the rag pieces already ragged before sewing and especially when you have different size pieces to make up a rag block when you line it up you will need to at some point center a piece over a larger piece instead of corner to corner.

Since this was a Take 5 rag block I first sewed the 2 of the 5 1/4 inch squares side by side. I than had to sew it to the 8 1/2 square and looking at it wouldn't match up. So looking at it and thinking some on it I realized I needed to center the 2 sewed 5 1/4 inch square to the 8 1/2 inch square. It needs to be centered simply because you need that seem on either side to sew the other pieces to it so it will match up.

So I took the 5 1/4 inch X 8 1/2 inch rectangle and sewed it to the other 5 1/4 inch square.

I than took the other piece which was already sewed (8 1/2 square inch with 2 of the 5 1/4 inch) and lined it up with the other piece mentioned above (the 5 1/4 inch X 8 1/2 inch rectangle) and it matched up perfectly.

Hope I make sense here and explaining it correctly.

The key to remember is when using different sizes in a block and especially with rag quilting is that we have the edges already cut if you use a die cutter like I did and we must allow that fringed cutting when we match it up.

The ragged edges with these dies is about 1 inch on all sides so we have to allow for that to be able to match it up perfectly.