Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting methods (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-methods-t282846.html)

Beehiveof9 10-07-2016 04:35 PM

Quilting methods

Good evening everyone! I hope everyone is well, especially those in the path of Matthew. Praying for all of you!

I was wondering how many of us on here quilt by hand? There are so many beautiful quilts! A lot of machine quilting, which I don't have issue with. I almost always quilt by machine myself. However, when I first learned to quilt, I learned by hand, and honestly, there are days I just want to hand quilt something. But life is busy, and there are so many projects, that I always machine quilt.

How about the rest of us here? Hand quilt? machine? both?

Tartan 10-07-2016 05:33 PM

I haven't hand quilted a quilt in about 10 years. It takes me a long time to hand quilt and I have too many quilts I want to do so I machine quilt. I satisfy my hand sewing urge by hand sewing my bindings and doing embroidery.

maryb119 10-07-2016 05:35 PM

I do both. I always have a quilt on the frame to hand quilt. If I have even 10 minutes, I sit down and hand quilt. I also have a long arm. I machines quilt as well and sometimes, I FMQ on my sewing machine.

Stitchnripper 10-07-2016 06:06 PM

I do both. I'm just finishing up one I machine pieced and hand quilted. On the binding now.

Kitsie 10-07-2016 06:30 PM

That's what I love to do, too. Such a peaceful way to not feel too lazy when watching TV!

Which I just realized is the time to make a cuppa tea and go do that!

NJ Quilter 10-07-2016 06:35 PM

Almost exclusively a hand quilter here. On the odd occasion I do a charity quilt (lack of time) they mostly require machine quilting so I'll do that then. And although I do mainly bed-size quilts - except for the run of baby quilts for the last couple of years, I'm not the prolific quilter that most are that are here. But it works for me.

lynnie 10-07-2016 06:35 PM

i've been quilting for over 40 yes, and i do it by hand.
I have machine quilted one twin size, a large baby,and 4 runners.
I don't know how people machine quilt a quilt. I like the machine quilting,
but sometimes it's so dense and they aren't warm, the heavily quilted ones.

Sleepy Hollow 10-07-2016 07:49 PM

I've just started, but I hand quilt. I did one concert blanket/quilt I used the machine for, because it was too thick to do by hand (wanted it thick enough to sit on).

Going forward I will probably use a sewing machine to quilt charity quilts, but for gift quilts, I hope to continue to do most, if not all, by hand.

Bluelady 10-07-2016 08:41 PM

My hands ache too much to do hand sewing or quilting. So machine it is. Including the binding.

mamagrande 10-07-2016 08:54 PM

I mostly machine quilt oh HQ16 but I keep a baby quilt or wall hangings on a hoop to hand quilt on some evenings and to take with me when I travel.