Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Iquilt classes? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/iquilt-classes-t286273.html)

tallchick 02-21-2017 03:41 PM

Iquilt classes?

I have exhausted my Craftsy road and I am looking for other venues for techniques etc and was thinking of taking a few classes from iquilt and was wondering if others have had any experience with their platform and classes. I'm not a hands on class kinda gal so going to my local quilt shop for classes is just not my cup of tea, and I love the fact that I can go back when I want to refresh my memory as needed. What has been your experience?

Bree123 02-21-2017 04:23 PM

I've taken 8 of them so far. In general, I have found the iQuilt classes more advanced than Craftsy classes (yes, there are exceptions on both platforms). Also, the Craftsy classes are usually more project-oriented whereas iQuilt classes usually involve mini-projects that focus on skill-building (i.e., the skill that is being taught dictates what you are making).

I personally prefer iQuilt classes, though there aren't very many currently being offered (they add more every few months, it seems). My absolute favorite is the borders, bindings & finishes class taught by Bonnie K. Browning. It's hands-down the best class I've ever taken anywhere -- live or online. Because of a disability, I rely a lot on online education (Craftsy, iQuilt, National Quilters Circle, CreativeBug, YouTube). I have found the iQuilt classes to be exceptional quality. They offer promotions on a regular basis & AQS members get an additional discount on both regular & sale prices on classes & materials.

sushi 02-21-2017 06:19 PM

This is really good to know! Thank you, Bree123.

sandrab64 02-21-2017 06:40 PM

I love the iQuilt classes! Have done about 5 and enjoyed each one...even more so when they go on sale.

Dolphyngyrl 02-21-2017 07:08 PM

I agree with Bree123 that while I adore craftsy the classes are better on iquilt the only thing is there is less group interaction but the instructors still reply to questions. I also have a couple classes off of annies that I loved as well

Neuras 02-21-2017 08:03 PM

Thanks for the class suggestion Bree. What other class titles would you recommend on iquilt?

dunster 02-21-2017 08:09 PM

I have to agree with Bree and Dolphyngirl. I have taken both Craftsy and iQuilt classes, and I think the iQuilt classes are exceptional. Which reminds me, I signed up for a couple recently that I haven't viewed yet. Most of the ones that I have viewed had to do with machine quilting.

Mitty 02-22-2017 03:38 AM

What great information! Thanks Bree123 and Dolphyngirl. I definitely prefer the skill-based over the project-based. I recently took a sewing class (my first) that sounded skill based from the description but ended up being completely focused on coming home with a completed item. She didn't even cover everything listed in the class description. It wasn't terrible, but it was disappointing. I'll look into the iQuilt classes when I'm looking for a class.

mjpEncinitas 02-22-2017 05:53 AM

When do these classes go on sale? I didn't see one about piecing did I miss something?

Rhondals 02-22-2017 05:57 AM

I am exactly like you. I took a home machine quilting class several years ago, and it wasn't bad. But my machine broke and I got singled out. "How are you doing on your project, Rhonda?" (I don't say anything in groups, nor ask questions). It was just an okay class. I took a couple of Craftsy classes, and they were good and fun. I can go back if I have to view the video again. Thanks to you, I just found iQuilt and I'm signing up for the machine quilting class, and the tuffet class.