Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bernina 1030 needle position (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bernina-1030-needle-position-t286363.html)

speters54 02-24-2017 05:41 PM

Bernina 1030 needle position

Does anyone know why my Bernina 1030 middle position puts the needle a tiny bit to the left of where it should be? My friend's 1030 is also like this so when we use the number 57 foot, it is worthless because when you put your fabric up against the 57 edge, it makes a full quarter inch seam which is no good for piecing.

Dolphyngyrl 02-24-2017 06:45 PM

1/4 inch seam works for piecing so why is it no good for piecing

Jan in VA 02-24-2017 08:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I assume you mean it doesn't give a "scant" 1/4 inch seam.

I use the first click to the right of center for many of my seam allowances, which gives an even more "scant" 1/4", but it doesn't really matter:
1. You don't care if your finished size (blocks OR quilt) are not exactly the "right" size.
2. IF you are not making blocks to trade with others....because the sizes will be slightly different.
3. You find other ways to help maintain your seam allowance, whatever "part of" 1/4" it is.
4. You realize that other areas of quilting are particular to YOU...our fabric style, your quilt patterns chosen, your preference for machine or hand work, the layout of your space, how you quilt and bind your work, etc., etc., etc.

Your seam allowance is your own Personal Private Measurement (PPM), so just embrace it! :o

If you haven't seen this trick of mine posted here for straight, accurate seam allowances, for your pleasure....

Jan in VA

cashs_mom 02-24-2017 08:35 PM

I love PPM, Jan! I'm going to remember that! Thank you!

quilterpurpledog 02-25-2017 03:29 AM

I have BERNINA machines. I like to use a 1/4" foot. However, I know that I need to hold my fabric pieces against the right edge of the feed dog mechanism. I also pin to keep my pieces together. Like Jan mentioned above I use an awl to hold the last inch or so of fabrics up against my guideline which I make using painter's tape. I am going to try Jan's rubber band method. I should say that I just finished piecing a quilt that is 100 X 100 inches and was off by 1/4" on the total width. I feel I can live with that! I think each person needs to find their 1/4" (PPM). Test each time you make a quilt because fabric and thread size can make a difference. Results are happier when you plan and adjust rather than just guessing.

speters54 02-26-2017 11:22 PM

On my 1030 machine, the needle is not centered in the hole and so it is impossible to get a scant 1/4". I think there is an adjustment the technician can make inside of the machine to make the needle bar be in the exact right place. A friend sent me a link to a video (only it was a Singer) but there is probably a way to do this on all machines.

Maia B 03-03-2017 08:53 AM

I have (and love!) a 1030. If the needle isn't centered, have a tech adjust it, or do it yourself if you're clever and brave ;).

That said, I prefer the 37 foot for 1/4" piecing, with or without a screw-down seam guide.

speters54 03-03-2017 09:41 AM

Does anyone know how to adjust it?