Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Brand new Juki having thread breakage and tension problems (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/brand-new-juki-having-thread-breakage-tension-problems-t287227.html)

srbythesea 04-01-2017 07:47 PM

Brand new Juki having thread breakage and tension problems

Has anyone else had thread breakage or upper tension problems with the Juki hzl dx7? I just opened my new machine today and I am confident it is threaded correctly. I can start sewing but within a minute the upper tension goes super tight and the thread breaks. I have checked everything I know. Help??

popover 04-02-2017 02:50 AM

Have you checked the spool of thread itself? Some will "hang up" on certain machines.

Tartan 04-02-2017 04:05 AM

check to make sure the little slit in the spool edge is not catching the thread. Thread is either sacked or cross wound, they need to feed differently from the spool.

Stitchnripper 04-02-2017 04:06 AM

Sometimes a machine doesn't like a certain thread or if you are FMQ it doesn't like to go in a certain direction. After checking all the obvious like threaded correctly top and bottom try a new needle and different thread. All of my dinky mechanical Brother machines take any thread but my new used Brother PQ1500 doesn't like cotton bread to FMQ and will break thread if I move the sandwich to the left. Also be sure the thread and needle size are a good match. Keep us posted on how it goes so maybe we can get another idea on solving

Patricia Drew 04-02-2017 04:26 AM

Hi, I have the Juki HZL-DX7, and I always use a thread stand. I did have a few problems when I used the horizontal spool pin on the machine, even with cross-wound spools. I've had the machine for a year now, and have used many different types and weights of threads, always with a thread stand, with no problems whatsoever.

quilterpurpledog 04-02-2017 04:30 AM

It does sound like the problem is with the spool of thread. Most machines come with two spindles to accommodate spools of thread that are stacked (vertical feed) or cross wound (horizontal feed that needs to come off the top of the spool). I have a thread stand for cross wound threads. I have to treat polyester thread like cross wound thread and feed off horizontal spindle or some of it slides off the spool and under it and ties onto the spindle until it breaks. Good luck as you pursue the solution to the problem so you can enjoy your new machine without frustration. I know a couple of people who really love their JUKI machines.

Onebyone 04-02-2017 04:33 AM

check to make sure the little slit in the spool edge is not catching the thread.
I haven't seen a spool with a slit in it for years. What brand has this now?

Sailorwoman 04-02-2017 04:48 AM

If you are using the horizontal spool, be certain that the cap keeps the thread from winding on spool. I have had the machine for a little less than a year and the only time I had trouble with the thread was when I used the thread stand. I had threaded it through both loops and as a result, it put too much resistance on the thread. If all of the advice doesn't solve the problem, phone your dealer or the Juki company. They are great.

Austinite 04-02-2017 07:41 AM

Call your dealer if you have one. Sometimes you can get a lemon, rare but it can happen. A pal fiddled and fiddled with a new machine, finally called the dealer who said, "it should be working perfectly!" He took it back and the replacement worked well right out of the box.

Onebyone 04-02-2017 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Austinite (Post 7796592)
Call your dealer if you have one. Sometimes you can get a lemon, rare but it can happen. A pal fiddled and fiddled with a new machine, finally called the dealer who said, "it should be working perfectly!" He took it back and the replacement worked well right out of the box.

That's a gem of a dealer! The dealers here never say that's a defective machine here is a brand new one without a big hassle if ever. One reason I won't buy from a dealer anymore.