Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advice on wallhanging quilting and binding... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-wallhanging-quilting-binding-t287237.html)

Watson 04-02-2017 07:10 AM

Advice on wallhanging quilting and binding...

1 Attachment(s)
A few questions for all the gurus here on the Quilting Board!
I am doing a long, thin wallhanging to go in a nook in our entryway. This little area is sort of hidden away in our entryway, so I'm looking for a surprise of colour with this wallhanging, as our entryway is done in greys. It has very thin borders, I'm looking for advice/suggestions on a few points (and any other thoughts, of course!)
1) I am quilting all the empty spaces in the blocks with pebbles...how to quilt the empty spaces in the sashing and borders?
2) If I wanted to go without the borders, could I just put batting behind the blocks and pull the borders around to the back, sort of like a facing, leaving a tiny line of the white around the block edges on the outside? How would this work on the corners?
3) If I do the borders, would the binding look OK in random lengths of the colours I used in the blocks, or is that too cutesy? Just do the binding in white?
Thanks all, for any help.

Watson (colours in this pic are a little wild...not sure why they turned out this way.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]570873[/ATTACH]

Maggie_Sue 04-02-2017 07:18 AM

Wow love this!!! I 'm sure others with more knowledge will help with your questions!!!

PaperPrincess 04-02-2017 08:24 AM

Love your wall hanging.
If you choose to bind, I would do it in a single color (if you have enough of one of the colors you used, or charcoal).
You can pull the border to the back, just look at a video on self binding quilts or using the backing to bind the quilt. These usually show mitered corners because that's what will show on the front. You can just do an easier corner by binding 2 opposite sides first, then the other 2. Might not look beautiful, but that will be the back. I really think a color binding will frame your piece.
Finally, a long hanging sometimes doesn't hang well. You can use drapery weights, dressmaker's weights (normally used in jackets) or a couple 3 fender washers from the hardware store.

Jane Quilter 04-02-2017 08:47 AM

Very very nice.
1.Pebbles in the blocks, ribbon in the sashing and boarders.
2.No
3. White would look more formal, random colors would look cutsy(, and in this case, would make the quilt look less like artwork. (I would go for the formal, artwork look in an entryway regardless of haw informal my house was.)

Note: Use an 80/20 batting for a wall hanging.....and add weights as paper princess says

yngldy 04-02-2017 09:01 AM

How about a really dark gray, or black?

gramajo 04-02-2017 11:22 AM

You say you want some bright color for that little nook. I'd use white for the binding so your colors will really pop.

QuiltnNan 04-02-2017 11:29 AM

i would choose to bind it in the red or navy blue

Gay 04-02-2017 03:14 PM

I would go with black or charcoal binding.

rl2b-Roseanne 04-02-2017 03:27 PM

This is really lovely - you've done a nice job!

QuiltE 04-02-2017 08:36 PM

I like the FUN look of this!

Rather than the charcoal or black, I would go with one of the colours already used.
My thoughts would be to go with the dark purple or blue, as they will frame it up nicely, and not be saying, hey look at me (as a red binding would).