Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Help from Featherweight owners... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/help-featherweight-owners-t290025.html)

kch1983 07-29-2017 03:56 PM

Help from Featherweight owners...

I've been browsing (okay, compulsively searching) online for a Featherweight for myself. Thing is, I have six working machines and don't really NEEd another one.

I've been trying to think of all the reasons I NeeD to buy a Featherweight. I've never even seen one in person so it's a bit daunting to try to figure this out for myself.

So if you're a Featherweight owner, what do you love about it?

Thanks,
Karen

Vancouver Island

tscweaves 07-29-2017 04:03 PM

It is so darn cute and it sews a beautiful straight stitch. I have been using it to piece quilt blocks and it is a joy to sew on. It is also so easy to maintain and to do any adjustments on it. I was super fortunate to be given a FW card table when I got mine so I have a big and beautiful work station.

toverly 07-29-2017 04:21 PM

You sound like me. I have 5 working sewing machines and had to have a featherweight. I kept looking and ended up purchasing one from a Guild member. Yes, I paid more than I wanted but it works great. It's just so cute and a joy to take to sewing bees to piece fabric. My only advice is to purchase one that is complete with a complete case. There were two for sale and I purchased one that needed the latch replaced. A very common problem since the lock is on one side, and easily broken. After much frustration by DH, both latches are replaced and it looks great.

QuiltnNan 07-29-2017 04:39 PM

i don't need one, and probably won't sew on it. but i still want one :)
they are so cute

barny 07-29-2017 04:40 PM

Nova Montgomery sells and also the ones she sells, she has gone over it and it is in perfect shape, she says. I
have one, but from a friend, and I've had to fix it myself.ha,ha. But they are fun to sew on. I have no idea
what Miss Montgomery charges, but you can find out.

kch1983 07-29-2017 04:53 PM

I've been to Nova's site. It looks like she has four for sale but if you click on them they're marked sold. :-(

kch1983 07-29-2017 04:55 PM

Yup, I totally get the 'cute' factor but as I mentioned I've never even seen one! Are they much smaller than say a 3/4 size machine like the Singer 28/128?

kch1983 07-29-2017 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by tscweaves (Post 7874700)
I was super fortunate to be given a FW card table when I got mine so I have a big and beautiful work station.

You were fortunate! That's the one thing that's making me hesitate - the lack of cabinet. I've sewn on plenty of machines on table tops so I know it's not that huge a deal. Or is it?

Another thing, would the extra cost of the 222 be worth it to you?

lynnie 07-29-2017 04:59 PM

it's cute, tiny, shiny, portable, sews a perfect 1/4" seam, coz it's rarer than one made nw. mine is from 1939. because you need one for your collection.

tscweaves 07-29-2017 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by kch1983 (Post 7874752)
You were fortunate! That's the one thing that's making me hesitate - the lack of cabinet. I've sewn on plenty of machines on table tops so I know it's not that huge a deal. Or is it?

Another thing, would the extra cost of the 222 be worth it to you?

I was going to buy the machine even without the table. My friend who went with me to pick it up (she was more familiar with them than me) had 2 tables and gave me one - yahoo! I really like having my machines flush with the work surface, just my preference.

As for the 222, the prices for those in the states is plain crazy. I would love one, but I will not pay the price. Canada prices for Singers seem more reasonable than the US, also there are alot more 222 to the north.

Just one more thing, I found the Featherweight to be a major gateway drug to vintage machines:-) Between picking up my FW on April 4th through to July 2nd this year, I have gotten 6 more singers. I was just out of control, and I am still checking sale ads almost daily. It is inexplicable, but the urge is still there. LOL