Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   new option to fight credit card fraud (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/new-option-fight-credit-card-fraud-t292858.html)

Jane Quilter 11-25-2017 04:34 PM

new option to fight credit card fraud

I keep a check list of all the "auto-deduct" companies I have agreements with. I'm getting pretty good & fast at updating them when a fraudulent charge occurs. But lately, I have added an auto alert option with my credit card company. Choosing this option, the bank sends me an e-mail every time my card is used.... even the "temporary" approval category. Now, I often catch the fraudulent usage before the bank does, and I call them! This has helped me a lot. I am so happy to have found this option. Maybe it will help you too.

nativetexan 11-25-2017 04:44 PM

thanks for the information!!

Aurora 11-26-2017 03:30 AM

Once my credit card company called me about a charge they declined in New Mexico (I lived in Kentucky) for a glass of orange juice at a hotel. Apparently, the location sent up a red flag. I immediately cancelled the card and ordered a new one from my bank.

Rhonda K 11-26-2017 05:09 AM

You can set alerts with your CC and bank cards for all transactions deposits included. I get them via text right on my phone. There is also a card that allows you to shut down the card and turn on as needed. My cards also text/email when payments are made to account.

dunster 11-26-2017 06:54 AM

I have all the alerts set up on my cards. Recently I got an alert about two nearly simultaneous charges for several thousand dollars from - get this - a circuit court in Illinois! (I live in California.) I contacted my credit card company and they immediately closed the account and sent me a new card overnight. Who would be dumb enough to use a stolen credit card number to pay a circuit court? I still don't know how they got my credit card number, though I suspect it may have been through the EquiFax hack. At any rate, I was glad that I spotted the fraud within minutes of its occurrence.

noahscats7 11-26-2017 03:28 PM

Discover Card has a thing where it alerts you if your social has been used anywhere. It does work because I made a return to a new credit card, the 1st time it was used after initial purchase and they sent me an email about it. I was impressed.

paoberle 11-27-2017 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter (Post 7950620)
I keep a check list of all the "auto-deduct" companies I have agreements with. I'm getting pretty good & fast at updating them when a fraudulent charge occurs. But lately, I have added an auto alert option with my credit card company. Choosing this option, the bank sends me an e-mail every time my card is used.... even the "temporary" approval category. Now, I often catch the fraudulent usage before the bank does, and I call them! This has helped me a lot. I am so happy to have found this option. Maybe it will help you too.

This is not a new option. I have had this set up on my credit cards and bank accounts for several years.