Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help, "Glitter Fabric" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-glitter-fabric-t292944.html)

TnBecky 11-29-2017 10:37 AM

Help, "Glitter Fabric"

I found a beautiful fabric to make a Christmas quilt & it has "glitter" on it. I'm guessing in the making of the fabric this is sprayed onto the fabric. I was wondering about pouring white vinegar in the wash to loosen the glue. Right now my house really sparkles. :D Any suggestions of how to wash the "glitter" off. Thank for your help.

letawellman 11-29-2017 04:54 PM

From personal experience.... go to the laudromat, DON'T use your own washing machine.

I had some GORGEOUS fabric... with glitter.
ALL of our clothes had sparkles in them for quite some time thereafter... do you know how cranky a man can get when his jockey's sparkle?!? LOL!!

Seriously, I am NOT kidding... even if you only wash the quilt or fabric ONCE in your washer, it's like the flakes hide in the depths of the washing machine and appear in every load for WEEKS.

Trust me. I honestly know about this.

bearisgray 11-29-2017 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by letawellman (Post 7953109)
From personal experience.... go to the laudromat, DON'T use your own washing machine.

ALL of our clothes had sparkles in them for quite some time thereafter... do you know how cranky a man can get when his jockey's sparkle?!? LOL!!

Seriously, I am NOT kidding... even if you only wash the quilt or fabric ONCE in your washer, it's like the flakes hide in the depths of the washing machine and appear in every load for WEEKS.

I had bought some shirts/tops from WalMart that had glitter on them. I also had glitter all over "everything" for weeks.

Jingle 11-29-2017 05:41 PM

I bought girly fabric with glitter. When I washed and folded it. I did not see glitter again. I also bought some other fabrics , seems it is woven into the fabric. I plan to use it to make quilts for kids. I guess others had more glitter than mine.

Peckish 11-29-2017 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by TnBecky (Post 7952849)
Any suggestions of how to wash the "glitter" off.

What manufacturer and line is it? If it's Fairy Frost, it's gonna take a long, long, long time to wash off.

TnBecky 11-29-2017 07:07 PM

The fabric is from Joann's, it's Keepsake Calico.

TnBecky 11-29-2017 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by letawellman (Post 7953109)

I love your post because I have used fabric like this in the past & my husband had the same problem. Thanks for making me laugh & knowing that I am not the only one that learned this the hard way.

patricej 11-29-2017 11:53 PM

if you take it to a laundromat wouldn't you be "infecting" the clothes of innocent strangers with the glitter you know you don't want yourself?

JudyTheSewer 11-30-2017 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ (Post 7953296)
if you take it to a laundromat wouldn't you be "infecting" the clothes of innocent strangers with the glitter you know you don't want yourself?

Imagine that I just hit the "Like" button. I've been thinking this also as I read the posts.

Sephie 11-30-2017 10:41 AM

I read somewhere that acetone would dissolve the glue that held the glitter on, but you'd probably want to test it on a small spot first to see if it also took out any dye.

Also wanted to note that glitter is considered a microparticle that our water treatment systems aren't equipped to filter out, and it is one of the tiny particles that is poisoning our oceans. Definitely not a judgment on you or your purchase, but was merely something I hadn't considered until recently.