Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Storing fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/storing-fabric-t294632.html)

PiedPiper 02-08-2018 10:58 AM

Storing fabric

We have just moved into a new house and I am very excited that I will be able to have a dedicated sewing space - not huge, but all mine. :) I have a bit of fabric/stash that I am looking to store - probably about 2-3 rubbermaids' worth. I was thinking of tucking it into a small attic space that adjoins my sewing area, but I'm starting to wonder if that's not the best idea. Should it be kept where it's climate controlled, rather than in an attic (subject to external temperature variations)? It's mostly just garden-variety fabrics, plenty of cottons, nothing super special or fragile.

Where do you store your fabric stash if you don't have a huge sewing room?

Boston1954 02-08-2018 11:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought one of those metal shelf units that you put together. It has five shelves and it is taller than my husband. Nearly all of my fabric fits there.

I'd be afraid to put my fabric someplace that might be subject to moisture and other things. Could you fit one of these in your room?

toverly 02-08-2018 11:13 AM

If it's a working stash and you work out of it an rotate fabrics, it probably would be fine. But if you plan to put it away for quite a while, I wouldn't. I keep mine in plastic tubs stacked 5 high. It fits easier in small stackable totes, like Boston does rather than in a couple of large totes.

OhCanada 02-08-2018 11:22 AM

What kind of climate do you live in, temperature will fluctuate how much? Will it be easily accessible in this attic space?

Austinite 02-08-2018 05:12 PM

i live in the South and most of the year my attic is 100+ degrees, no way I'd put fabric there. I'm lucky enough to have a closet in the bedroom that's mostly mine and I keep it all in there so it's away from sunlight and climate controlled. I don't have a sewing room, I actually keep my clothes in the bedroom and use the closet space for my fabrics.

dunster 02-08-2018 05:14 PM

The other question about the attic is whether any pests might get to the fabric if the totes aren't sealed well. Plus, if you can't get to it easily then you're less likely to use it.

Peckish 02-08-2018 05:22 PM

I keep mine on an IKEA bookshelf, folded, visible, and most importantly, out of direct sunlight. The bookshelf is perpendicular to the window.

Battle Axe 02-08-2018 05:29 PM

I have three of those shelving units. They work well.

Marcia

Anniedeb 02-08-2018 08:47 PM

I'm in Minnesota. I sew in my dining room, and store my stash on my 3 season porch in clear medium sized totes. In the summer it can hit 90+ out there, and in the winter when it's super cold, water/pop will freeze out there! It's not heated, and has 13 windows. I keep the totes covered, out of direct sunlight. I have never had any issue with anything except my glue sticks dried up!!

zozee 02-08-2018 09:11 PM

I'd use my dining room hutch for fabric, and put the china in the attic. Ha. Seriously, if that was my only choice.