Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what am I doing wrong (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-am-i-doing-wrong-t296063.html)

meyert 04-08-2018 04:52 PM

what am I doing wrong

I have tried several times to use a thimble when I am hand sewing binding on quilts - - but I never can make it work.

I am fine with the thimble on my finger and everything is going well then bam! my thread breaks. Its like where I push the needle with thimble is cutting or wearing down the thread.

Is it the thimble? what am I doing wrong?

NJ Quilter 04-08-2018 05:04 PM

I suspect it may be your needle?? Is it an old, well loved/used needle? Perhaps the eye is worn?

I try to maneuver the thread such that I'm not wearing the thread in the same spot all of the time. i.e., start with a relatively long/short 'tail' and change the needle position on the tail at varying intervals?

I doubt the thimble is the culprit but perhaps?? What type of thimble are you using? What kind of thread?

Tartan 04-09-2018 03:28 AM

The thimble can wear the thread if the thread goes between the thimble and the needle end. I use a thimble to hand quilt and it does cause some wear on the thread end.

ptquilts 04-09-2018 04:07 AM

I use a thimble to hand quilt but not sewing on binding.

meyert 04-09-2018 06:37 AM

thanks for your thoughts.. I just have a regular steel thimble. I have thought of moving the thread out of the way every time before I push, but I don't always remember.

I will have to think about the needle - - - when I sew without the thimble I don't have any problems (other than my sore fingers)

CaddoP 04-09-2018 06:40 AM

I have an old leather thimble that I love, just seems more flexible....like Barb, I don’t always use it when stitching a binding.

suern3 04-09-2018 02:47 PM

I found small leather dots that adhere to the finger that I use to push the needle while sewing binding. I found that I can't use a regular thimble after trying different types, but I was tired of sore fingers. Found the leather dots at a quilt shop and I love them. I forget it is even there and no more sore fingers! I wish I could tell you the name but don't have the outer packaging. They seem a little pricey initially but you can reuse them for quite awhile. I usually end up losing one rather wearing it out.

meyert 04-09-2018 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by suern3 (Post 8037153)
I found small leather dots that adhere to the finger that I use to push the needle while sewing binding. I found that I can't use a regular thimble after trying different types, but I was tired of sore fingers. Found the leather dots at a quilt shop and I love them. I forget it is even there and no more sore fingers! I wish I could tell you the name but don't have the outer packaging. They seem a little pricey initially but you can reuse them for quite awhile. I usually end up losing one rather wearing it out.

Thanks I will keep an eye out :)

kyquiltlover1942 04-10-2018 02:08 AM

If you are sewing with a single thread, keep the "loose" end about an inch for the fabric, and move the needle along as you sew. This way it keeps moving the stress point every few stitches. Hope this makes sense.

coopah 04-10-2018 03:24 AM

I can't use a thimble, so I buy the little plastic self-adhesive discs. I find them at the quilt shop. They help save my fingers during hand sewing.