Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Rescue...Before my Coffee! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/rescue-before-my-coffee-t297358.html)

MaryKatherine 06-03-2018 07:52 AM

Rescue...Before my Coffee!

4 Attachment(s)
I'm an early riser and I like to walk when is cool and quiet, but when I looked out my window I found I had a visitor, a very lost one, busy trying to did a hole (eggs?) in my gravel drive. A very large (to me anyway) snapping turtle. They're endangered in my area.
I considered waiting till 9 AM to call the Humane Society but I doubted they would come ASAP to move a turtle half a kilometer. All the local 'rescue' groups only do cat and dogs. I even considered calling the Fire Department.
In the end I googled 'How to move a Snapper'. A snow shovel!
So after dragging a very heavy and noisy shovel down the street around the corner and into the wetlands I sent her? back into the marsh.
Whether she came from there or another area further away, I'll never know. Whether she stays there???

cashs_mom 06-03-2018 07:57 AM

Yup, its probably nesting season for snapping turtles. We have a bunch that live on the golf course near the ponds and wander the neighborhood to find places to nest. Ours nested a month or so ago and you would see them wandering the streets. We used to have one that laid it's eggs in our front yard every year, but the squirrels got them. :( I'm glad you helped her to safety.

nativetexan 06-03-2018 08:24 AM

how sweet. you have a nice big heart. she or he will find a good home there, even if it is new.

Tartan 06-03-2018 08:52 AM

​Well done! I have moved a turtle off the road and into a field but it wasn't a snapper.

QuiltE 06-03-2018 08:53 AM

What a woman you are! :)

*giggles* ....
So you didn't take time to call our two online newspapers, so I could read all about your heroic act?

Now am left to wonder ....
Will this be the inspiration for a new art quilt, after cuddly bear is complete? :)

MaryKatherine 06-03-2018 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 8069775)
What a woman you are! :)

*giggles* ....
So you didn't take time to call our two online newspapers, so I could read all about your heroic act?

Now am left to wonder ....
Will this be the inspiration for a new art quilt, after cuddly bear is complete? :)

I do get my inspirations from the strangest places!
LOL

QuiltE 06-03-2018 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine (Post 8069780)
I do get my inspirations from the strangest places!
LOL

Now picturing snow shovel quilted with the turtle .....
Title: Sledding!

annievee 06-03-2018 11:42 AM

Good pics, great use for snow shovel !

KwiltyKahy 06-03-2018 12:20 PM

Good job. Looking forward to the quilt, LOL

cathyvv 06-03-2018 12:22 PM

Thank you for doing that, and for sharing your adventure.