Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   American puckers? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/american-puckers-t298974.html)

Geri B 08-18-2018 01:23 AM

American puckers?

Because there are so few programs, other than reruns of last year's offerings, I find myself watching American pickersmore and more! I shake my head in disbelief each time, thinking there was another program once called hoarders...this had turned them into collectors! Can't believe there is such a demand for rusted auto, bike, misc. things......

Sandygirl 08-18-2018 02:51 AM

I love American Pickers. I learn a lot about the pieces they see and buy. I am amazed at all of the storage sheds filled to the gills too. The $$$ spent on these “collectors”. ( loved the typo...puckers! Your quilter is showing! Lol!)

Sandy

toverly 08-18-2018 03:08 AM

It amazes me that they always skip over sewing machines. Everyone has one. I always look for the elusive featherweight.

JustAbitCrazy 08-18-2018 03:49 AM

I watched American Pickers in the beginning, but got turned off when the guys whined in every episode about how hard their job is. :shock: Seriously. They should have a really hard job to compare this to.

SusieQOH 08-18-2018 04:58 AM

That's why we get Netflix, Amazon Prime and MLB. I dislike regular programming. I would get rid of cable altogether but my husband likes the news Yuck! :)

SillySusan 08-18-2018 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 8112810)
It amazes me that they always skip over sewing machines. Everyone has one. I always look for the elusive featherweight.

I used to watch them in amazement that some of the things they valued I remember not as so valuable like an old automatic watering gadget for hogs, the thing they stuck their snouts in and pressed to get water. They must have seen hundreds of old treadles and FWs and were not interested. I guess their mothers and grannies were not quilters! :)

pennycandy 08-18-2018 06:45 PM

My husband watches American Pickers. Mike and Frank are interested in things they collect or what they believe would bring in a good profit. "Barn fresh" sewing machines usually aren't worth their time or money. The rare ones most likely are in private collections and museums. Most of the old sewing machines in my area go for $15 to $100. Featherweights being the exception will go for $350-$400.

quiltingcandy 08-18-2018 09:00 PM

I watch it in fast-forward. Their fake banter drives me nuts. But they do find interesting items from time to time. I used to watch Pawn Stars too - but they were so rude to each other I don't even bother to watch it in fast forward.

lindaschipper 08-19-2018 04:18 AM

The American Pickers Iowa based facility (the original) is in LeClaire, Iowa....just a few miles east of Davenport where I live. It actually sits behind (across the alley) from the quilt shop where I take my Project Linus Quilts (Expressions in Thread), sadly I've never ventured back there to see it in person. I should go back there and at least get a T-shirt...LOL

coopah 08-19-2018 04:24 AM

I still like the Pickers, although the script is so canned, I almost have it memorized. They seem to be focusing on cars and motorcycles, so I guess that's where the money is. My dad had buildings full of "stuff" and people encouraged me to call the Pickers. We didn't really want to go that route. Dad kept stuff that "might come in handy one day." He was a kid in the Great Depression and had a different viewpoint on life than those of us born after WWII.
We go to Roku or Amazon Prime and watch British programs.