Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   batting for quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-quilts-t299970.html)

Psychomomquilter 10-04-2018 03:03 AM

batting for quilts

ok I am back starting up quilting again, I went to the store yesterday wanted to get some batting, wow It has gone up in price! I am not able to afford that. so what is the alternative, is there really any? I do have some flannel blankets, but is that worthwhile to use? mine are a bit thicker than that batting, so what can I use?

SusieQOH 10-04-2018 03:49 AM

I think flannel would work just fine for you.

Feathers-N-Fur 10-04-2018 04:11 AM

I have used fleece when I find it cheap at the thrift store or clearance rack. Flannel works, but you don’t get the loft to show your quilting. For smaller quilts, people use mattress pads. I’ve used the cheap acrylic blankets from Walmart.

Barb in Louisiana 10-04-2018 05:36 AM

If you have a Joan's near you, you can get coupons to buy their batting for about 50% off.

Still Sew N 10-04-2018 06:12 AM

Recently I purchased 3 bolts of batting made by Pellon/Nature's Touch 80 cotton, 20 polyester from Walmart. Each bolt was 96" wide by 9 yards and all three bolts for around $110 delivered to my home! I have used this product on my quilts and it's a bit loftier than 100% cotton and my longarm seems to enjoy the extra "grab" and it quilts out nicely. Having the 3 separate bolts vs a very large roll made it a lot easier to store.

ArlaJo 10-04-2018 06:13 AM

I bought a 10 yard bolt of 90" wide batting from Walmart for just over $50. I like the way it handles and washes. I will buy it again at that price. Gifted my sister with a bolt for her BD last week.

Peckish 10-04-2018 11:09 AM

Your details are a little vague as to where you went shopping and what batting they carry. Shop around, not everyone carries the same product and charges the same price.

AmyBible 10-04-2018 12:02 PM

Joann Fabrics just had a 70% off rolled batting coupon (don't have to buy the whole roll). I sometimes think they mark the prices up so customers are forced to use the coupons to buy anything. Keep watching their ads - go to the web site - download the app. Bide your time and when it's super cheap buy as much as you can.
That being said, flannel makes a nice batting and a friend of mine always uses fleece on the back with no batting.

Psychomomquilter 10-05-2018 01:44 AM

sorry about being vague. My favorite store, Wal-Mart is where I shopped, yes I do have a joanns nearby. I am just getting well from a bout of sickness this past 5 months, so I wasn't really paying attention. but to me that was pricey. BUT the other thing when I thought more about it, it really wasn't, it was the pure cotton. I will try that flannel & fleece, mattress pads? not heard of that one, oh the ones you put on the mattress/ yeah that sounds good too! thanks ladies for the info!!

illinois 10-05-2018 02:38 AM

Yes, batting has gone up and don't I hate to pay big bucks for a product that isn't even seen when put to use?! JoAnn's coupons but that thing of big discounts on regular prices only to find that what I want is already on sale. Just have to pre-plan and be ready to jump when the deal is really a deal. But, yes, fleece with no batting in between. It accomplishes two things at once --"batting" and backing. It's soft and offers a bit of loft for the front, as well. I have not used mattress pads but that is essentially the same thing as a batt with the "fluff" between 2 layers. Watch for those at thrift stores or yard sales that you trust they are bug-free.