Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Older cabinets and ergonomics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/older-cabinets-ergonomics-t300895.html)

Topazjewel 11-13-2018 05:38 PM

Older cabinets and ergonomics

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I love the vintage Singer sewing machine cabinets but I've heard that they are uncomfortable to sew at because you can't sit in front of the needle. Have you had any issues with this. Are certain cabinets better than others? This is the cabinet that I'm thinking about.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]603998[/ATTACH]

Thanks,

Juli

John Sand 11-13-2018 05:54 PM

I use a classic cabinet and have no trouble with the needle location.

bkay 11-14-2018 08:02 AM

I have a problem with most Singer cabinets. I like to sit right in front of the needle and most Singer cabinets do not allow that. I end up straddling the left leg of the cabinet. The one you chose would be the worst, in my opinion. With the drawers on the left, you would have a hard time straddling the leg. I learned to sew on a 15-91 in a 65 cabinet. The drawers are all on the right side and the left side has a cut out that makes sitting in front of the needle easy.

I'm currently using a cabinet that came with a touch and sew installed, so I don't think it would work with the older straight stitchers. It works well with all the slant shank machines, though. It's not shown with the other cabinet models on Ismacs. it has a three digit number. (I once had the tag that came with it, but can't remember where I put it.) The hole for the machine is moved to the right so that you sit right in front of the needle. The drawers are on the left side. It actually looks like a desk. It's not pretty, but it works really well.

Found a photo!

bkay

Cari-in-Oly 11-14-2018 11:36 AM

Bkay that cabinet should work fine for other full size machines(Singer or Japanese), you'll just have an open space to the right of the machine.

Cari

Mickey2 11-14-2018 12:27 PM

Cabinets and preferances are very individual. I would say, if you aren't particularly tall most of them should be fine. I have a 201K in a treadle table. It's converted to electric, and the treadle irons aren't there anymore. I have tried two types of foldaway tables and a cabinet more like a cupboard, I would say the ergometics are as near optimal as can be. Hands go on boths side of the needle with out any cumbersome bends or angles. Advantage with new horn cabinets is mostly storage space, optinal build on modules etc, at least some models. Some of the older cabinets had quite good storage space though. Unless it turns into a 8 hours a day, 5 days a week chore, the old cabinets are quite good. Some are smaller, some are a bit larger. I think some of the later teak or mahogany tables are taller legs.

My table is very simple, similar to this one.

https://oldsingersewingmachineblog.f...-08-08_170.jpg

John Sand 11-14-2018 02:27 PM

"If you aren't particularly tall.."
Wise words. At 6'5" I find every table and counter too short for me. Lining up with the needle isn't as hard as bending over to do the work. But it did help me acquire a nice wife who was looking for a tall guy. (She's 5'9"+)

Mickey2 11-14-2018 03:28 PM

I'm 180 cm and most tables are fine, but I can imagine a guy over 190 cm needs to think about table hight, and enough space for the knees in the car ;- )

Lyncat 11-14-2018 04:18 PM

I guess it’s never bothered me to sew with a machine in a vintage cabinet because I’m left handed.

Cari-in-Oly 11-14-2018 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lyncat (Post 8161619)
I guess it’s never bothered me to sew with a machine in a vintage cabinet because I’m left handed.

Same here. I never thought about it that way other than I have no problems putting the bobbin case in an end loading machine where a lot of right handed people don't like doing it.

Cari

Farmhousesewer 11-15-2018 01:30 PM

I am left handed too... another reason to love you guys.