Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   2 Charm Packs and a Pack of white... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/2-charm-packs-pack-white-t301851.html)

coopah 12-28-2018 07:06 PM

2 Charm Packs and a Pack of white...

So I have two charm packs (too bad they're not turtledoves, we could sing the song, right?) which are the same and one white pack. Probably there was an idea behind that order, but I don't know what it was! So any ideas of what to do with this conglomeration? I don't have to use them all or all together. Just looking for a way to use them which would make a nice quilt. Any ideas appreciated! Charm packs are 40 or so of 5" squares in case some of you might not know that. Thanks!

Julienm1 12-28-2018 07:43 PM

Hmmm...something using half square triangles? or no waste flying geese?

wesing 12-28-2018 07:56 PM

D9P? Irish Chain? Does Falling Charms use all 5" squares?

Tartan 12-28-2018 07:59 PM

I would look through some of Jenny Doan’s Patterns from the Missouri Star Quilt co. as she uses a lot of precuts.

Irishrose2 12-28-2018 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by wesing (Post 8183173)
D9P? Irish Chain? Does Falling Charms use all 5" squares?

No, the charms are surrounded by a blender fabric that is cut longer than 5", so the white charm pack wouldn't work.

Jane Quilter 12-28-2018 09:14 PM

disappearing nine patch?

hobbykat1955 12-29-2018 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8183177)
I would look through some of Jenny Doan’s Patterns from the Missouri Star Quilt co. as she uses a lot of precuts.

Yes she has a great quilt using exactly 2 packs...I made it and love it...I think called Falling Blocks or Falling Stars?

Barb in Louisiana 12-29-2018 05:51 AM

I've seen some cute quilts by just placing all the charms in a manner that you like and then using sashing to put them together in an I spy type quilt. Cornerstones in the sashing will add another element of fun. Or you could use them for the centers of Log Cabins. Or how about a square in a square? Or a Disappearing nine patch using the white as a constant? Then add sashing and/or cornerstones to finish it off. Or do 4 patches and alternating them with plain color squares? Or just use a sashing with or without cornerstones. You can float the 5 inch patches on a background color then add sashing to get it to the size you want.

Edited to add: Whatever you decide to do, say for instance the 4 patches. I would divide out how many it is going to take for each component and divide that into your 80 or 120 patches to see how big the quilt will be and whether you will need alternating blocks or just sashing. The D9P will use 8 colors and 1 white each. That will give you 10 D9P. Sashing and borders will help fill out.

Another cute quilt I saw. They used all the same fabrics and made a 4 patch with a small sashing within the block. Then you arrange the 4 patches and float them with the same fabric as the small sashing, but use at least a 1 1/2 finished or even a 2 inch as the sashing size. You want to define the blocks.

SusieQOH 12-29-2018 06:01 AM

coopah- I agree with the others about Jenny Doan. She has loads of patterns with charms and all other precuts.

quiltsRfun 12-29-2018 06:02 AM

Maybe something that uses the white to snowball the corners.