Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Odorless commercial starch? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/odorless-commercial-starch-t302083.html)

Mitty 01-07-2019 08:34 AM

Odorless commercial starch?

Are there any starches out there that have no odor, or is that just the way starch smells? The homemade kind doesn’t smell to me, but all the commercial starches smell perfumey to me.

quiltsRfun 01-07-2019 09:23 AM

I haven’t noticed an odor with Sta Flo.

oldmanquilts 01-07-2019 10:13 AM

I'm using Faultless Premium. It says "pure cotton scent" whatever that is. I don't notice any smell. If anything it smells like fresh laundry. I'm not, but it appears a lot of folks are sensitive to "perfumy" smells. Breathe through your mouth!

Peckish 01-07-2019 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by lyric girl (Post 8188409)
Mary Ellens Best Press comes unscented, but its a starch alternative

It's still starch.

Mitty 01-08-2019 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by oldmanquilts (Post 8188436)
I'm using Faultless Premium. It says "pure cotton scent" whatever that is. I don't notice any smell. If anything it smells like fresh laundry. I'm not, but it appears a lot of folks are sensitive to "perfumy" smells. Breathe through your mouth!

Lol! Unfortunately, it's not just a problem for me while I'm spraying it but while I'm working with the starched fabric, which can be hours and hours while I quilt it. I’ve already bought a starch that was supposed to smell like “linen” and I’m afraid that “cotton” may not be much better, but if I find it in the store I’ll give it a sniff (nothing like standing in the store aisles sniffing the merchandise). Thanks!

Mitty 01-08-2019 08:21 AM

Best Press does come in an unscented scented. I don’t see unscented Sta-Flo, but it doesn’t have a “scent” listed either.

At this point it’s probably whichever is easier for me to order online since I haven’t found any unscented starch in the stores.
Thanks everyone!

Kitsie 01-08-2019 08:59 AM

My nose says "Sta-Flo liquid starch has no smell" I also make a "Best Press" like product with vodka and water. No smell there either.

Batik 54 01-09-2019 07:13 AM

Interesting that this is a topic because last night I was using the unscented Best Press and thinking that it still smells. The Best Press itself does not smell but when I put the heat of the iron to it I notice I get the "smell" as the heat evaporates the liquid. Afterwards I do not notice it only when I am ironing. As a result I don't usually use starch except when I really think something needs it.

Granchris 01-09-2019 09:41 PM

You can make your own. Lots of recipes out there 1 1/4 cup Vodka, 1 1/4 cup starch, 64 ou distilled water if you want real starch. If not use 1/3 cup Vodka, 2/3 cup distilled water and you can add a little 1-2 Tbsp. unscented fabric softener.

Peckish 01-10-2019 01:09 PM

Recipes that contain water, vodka, and fragrance are not starch. It's basic chemistry and fermenting - sure, there is starch in "potato juice" that they make vodka out of, but in the act of fermenting, the starch is eaten by the yeast and yields alcohol.