Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Backstitching? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/backstitching-t306709.html)

bearisgray 09-04-2019 07:46 AM

Backstitching?

Do you do this when you piece?

If so, when/where?

I do not - because I have not been able to do "neat" backstitching - the fabric rumples or I wander off the previous line of stitching. It also adds thickness - and I've read a gazillion posts about using thinner thread to reduce bulk in the seam line.

I do use a shorter stitch length when strip or paper piecing.

I also will edge stitch a pieced border to keep it from coming apart - which I learned to do after I had a pieced border that came apart.

I have learned so many things by having to do re-dos!

bjgallent 09-04-2019 07:53 AM

I usually do not backstitch. That seam usually gets sewn over when adding another piece. Just mostly use a shorter stitch length.

Queenbarbiej 09-04-2019 08:32 AM

I only back stitch at the beginning and end of a row that will not have another seam added to it or the border.

feline fanatic 09-04-2019 08:53 AM

The only time I backstitch is when doing set in seams (aka Y seam) and when mitering my corners in the binding (the starting stitches, the ending stitches I turn the quilt 45 degrees and stitch into the raw edge corner of the quilt). These types of seams are never stitched over by other seam lines so a few back stitches are necessary in order to lock the stitching in place.

QuiltnNan 09-04-2019 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Queenbarbiej (Post 8297635)
I only back stitch at the beginning and end of a row that will not have another seam added to it or the border.

this is the same with me

Onebyone 09-04-2019 09:17 AM

My machine does a backstitch for me if I remember to engage it. It does save a lot of aggrivation later on to backstitch the seam.

Macybaby 09-04-2019 09:21 AM

I rarely backstitch. However if I'm doing something with a lot of small pieces on an end that I'm not going to add a border (like a bargello) I'll stay stitch right at the edge to keep any of those seams from opening up during the quilting process. These would be edges that were cut from sewing strips, so there is no thread tail at all.

jessicalebo 09-04-2019 11:05 AM

No way. I tend to spend half my time seam ripping and taking out backstitching might send me over the edge! Ha!

I do backstitch the binding before I turn the corner and switch sides though. It's the only time I ever use it.

Rhonda K 09-04-2019 12:54 PM

I can press a button on the machine for a lock-stitch.

I stay stitch all borders on each side and then attach to the quilt. The quilt edges are stay-stitched.

juliasb 09-04-2019 02:32 PM

I rarely back stitch. When I do it is because I though I might have missed the first few stitches. My Juki machine does not like backstitching that well. I think it is an anomaly with my machine. The machine ties off well at the end of a piece or end of a row however.