Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just for Laughs... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-laughs-t307622.html)

copycat 10-24-2019 01:34 AM

Just for Laughs...

3 Attachment(s)
Please tell me what funny thing you saw that inspired you to make a block or applique shape or quilting design?

I was using cookie cutters and thought...cute shapes to trace on a quilt and free-motion quilt around the drawn shape. I have read others have seen floor tiles for inspiration. Please share your funny story.

QuiltnNan 10-24-2019 03:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I actually bought these Corelle dishes because of the 'quilting design' on them. I'm waiting for the right project to focus the design on a quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]618907[/ATTACH]

ptquilts 10-24-2019 03:34 AM

Houndstooth check on a sweater; bathroom tile floor.

Iceblossom 10-24-2019 03:36 AM

I am often inspired by odd things, but I don't know how many funny stories I have -- probably my best is when Titanic first came out and we were all held captive in the drama at the theater, I started rummaging around in my purse to draw out the "Titanic Star" that was the tile pattern on the floor of the big staircase area.

platyhiker 10-24-2019 06:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have an amusing story that is basically about the opposite - missing the obvious. At one time, I spent a large amount of time hunting for a quilting design to fit nicely into a border. I finally found a design I liked in a book at the library, that looked pretty much like this:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]618921[/ATTACH]
I modified it to be double lines to look this:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]618922[/ATTACH]
After I was done marking and quilting it, I realized that my bathroom has tiles with this exact pattern in it, in a stripe at about 4" high at about 4' off the floor. Talk about missing what was right in front of my face, every day! Had I noticed the design sooner, I could have saved myself a lot of time hunting. Since then, I have enjoyed spotting attractive quilting designs in tile work and iron work.

TheMerkleFamily 10-24-2019 06:15 AM

I really like that pattern - I'm a believer in less-can-be-more (in many instances) and this would look great in a border.. Thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 8317610)
I actually bought these Corelle dishes because of the 'quilting design' on them. I'm waiting for the right project to focus the design on a quilt.

thimblebug6000 10-24-2019 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 8317610)

Cool dishes! But how to plate the food without messing up the design, hmmmm? :p

leonf 10-24-2019 07:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not my work, but it was made for me because I ride a pennyfarthing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]618929[/ATTACH]

illinois 10-25-2019 03:06 AM

Use the design to quilt placemats with these dishes!

zozee 10-25-2019 04:55 AM

I was in a restroom of a busy convenience store and really liked the tile on the floor. Lots of stalls were in use; I was not alone. Looking at the tile floor as I sat there, first thought was “take a picture of it” . Next thought was “How weird would that be for someone to hear a camera clicking in the stall!” I decided against my impulse.