Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Potholders & Insul Bright ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/potholders-insul-bright-t307759.html)

osewme 10-31-2019 08:44 AM

Potholders & Insul Bright ?

I want to make a friend a set of potholders & I've never used Insul Bright but am going to put it in these pot holders. I think I want to also add some batting. Do I put a layer on each side of the Insul Bright with the Insul Bright sandwiched in between or do I put just one layer of batting? If I just use one layer of the extra batting, do I put it on the "batting" side of the Insul Bright or on the shiny side or does it matter? Also, if I use a layer of extra batting on each side of the I B will it make the pot holder to bulky? Thanks for any info from those who have done this before! As an extra bonus for me can I see pictures of pot holders you've made? :)

juliasb 10-31-2019 08:49 AM

I only use Insul Bright on the back side of my pot holders and use a cotton bat like W&N. I lay the shinny side to the outside of the pot holder. The pot holder will be strong enough and still be as heat resistant this way.

IrishgalfromNJ 10-31-2019 11:39 AM

I like to use Insul Brite between two layers of 100% cotton batting for my potholders.

Sharonquilts 10-31-2019 12:17 PM

Check the directions that come with Insul Brite. I'm making hot pads and I'm sure it says to sandwich the Insul Brite between 2 layers of batting. I use cotton batting.

Claire123 10-31-2019 02:21 PM

I have used insulbrite a few times and can never remember! I also use a layer on cotton batting. The insulbrite reflects the heat away, so you may want to have that layer first.

toverly 10-31-2019 03:08 PM

I'm like the quilted look so I quilt the front with batting, then muslin, add the insulbrite and back fabric, then bind. I don't like to quilt thru the insulbrite. The back fabric is held just on the sides.

quiltedsunshine 10-31-2019 09:05 PM

I've used 100% cotton batting on both sides of Insul-Bright. A Friend gave me some hot pads with only the Insul-Bright, and it wasn't thick enough, and I got burned.

Onebyone 11-01-2019 05:24 AM

I put Insul Brite inside a layer of cotton batting. One layer of batting will let the heat through. When I find the heat resistant silver fabric on sale I buy a lot of it. It's thinner and resists heat on both sides.

juliasb 11-01-2019 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine (Post 8321273)
I've used 100% cotton batting on both sides of Insul-Bright. A Friend gave me some hot pads with only the Insul-Bright, and it wasn't thick enough, and I got burned.

One thing about this forum is the information you learn. I learned something new in this thread. I will start sandwiching the bat between the Insul-Bright. Thanks so much

pw6 11-01-2019 08:11 AM

cool I have wondered the same thing not I thank you shine side out , but how do you know which side to use since both side of pot holder is the same pattern