Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Starch Discolouration (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/starch-discolouration-t318568.html)

b.zang 06-26-2022 12:39 PM

Starch Discolouration

1 Attachment(s)
What is happening! I washed my fabric and now want it well-starched before fussy cutting. I sprayed liberally and thought the idea was to carefully press to dry the starch. But, as soon as I touched it with the hot iron brown marks appeared. I'm letting it dry well but will this happen once it's dry as well? Do I need to re-wash and abandon starch? I'm using Mary Ellen Best Press which is a reputable brand.

Rhonda K 06-26-2022 01:39 PM

Let the starch dry first. I put the starched fabric in the dryer or hang outside.

The fabric can be damp and then ironed.

RedGarnet222 06-26-2022 02:58 PM

Sometimes I can get it out by using white vinegar on a white washcloth to dab it out. Not sure if that would work with that large of a stain. It does work with a white blouse or jeans.

ThreadHead 06-26-2022 03:31 PM

I think I would clean my ironing board cover.
It gets dingy from the dyes in the fabric you are ironing.
ive had that happen to me too,

b.zang 06-26-2022 03:37 PM

I let the fabric dry completely. Plus my ironing board, which was damp from the starch. I need a lesson on using starch, spraying down onto my ironing board doesn't seem to be a good idea either. This was a smaller piece, I don't know how I'm going to manage the longer yardages needed for this quilt.
Thanks for the tips. Dry fabric ironed up fine.

cashs_mom 06-26-2022 03:47 PM

It looks like you scorched the fabric with the iron. If it is scorched, it might not come out.

GingerK 06-26-2022 04:05 PM

I have realized that my new iron (just like my new oven) is overly hot immediately after it reaches 'temperature'--my iron beeps and my oven sings. But in those few minutes immediately after, both are hotter than expected or needed. For the oven, I have started preheating 15 minutes earlier than needed. For the iron, I will either drop the temperature a notch or wait 5 minutes before using.

Tartan 06-26-2022 04:22 PM

Make sure your ironing surface is pristine or brown can come up into damp fabric when you iron. Wash the fabric to see if it is just the starch that burned from a too hot iron or if the fabric is scorched. I have not had any luck removing scorch from fabric.

Railroadersbrat 06-26-2022 05:50 PM

Check your sole plate on your iron, too. I thought my iron was clean once when I was starching some fabric, only to see brown streaks appear. When I looked at my iron, I had brown streaks on it. Use a magic eraser to clean your sole plate really good.

Whenever I use starch, I don't turn my iron up to cotton, I actually turn it down a little.

cashs_mom 06-26-2022 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Railroadersbrat (Post 8557097)
Check your sole plate on your iron, too. I thought my iron was clean once when I was starching some fabric, only to see brown streaks appear. When I looked at my iron, I had brown streaks on it. Use a magic eraser to clean your sole plate really good.

Whenever I use starch, I don't turn my iron up to cotton, I actually turn it down a little.

Smart move!