Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about cordless irons (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-cordless-irons-t321068.html)

thrums 07-05-2023 12:15 PM

Question about cordless irons

I see that SteamFast has a cordless iron SF-760. I would appreciate any comments about its performance and a comparison to the Panasonic cordless irons.

Do you use a cordless iron for clothing as well as quilting?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

mkc 07-05-2023 01:28 PM

It looks like the SteamFast only has 1 temperature and is 1200 watts. Panasonic cordless models have 3 temperatures and are 1500 watts. The Panasonic models should be able to reach a higher temperature. My cordless is an older Panasonic (not the 360) and works great for quilting.

I don't iron clothes, but I do make draperies. I use a portable steam generator (Reliable brand) for that since it requires much more steam to press bulky pleats and upholstery fabrics as well as set adhesives on buckram. If I had the room, I'd get a Laurastar.

Onebyone 07-05-2023 01:43 PM

I have the Steamfast cordless. I take it to retreats because it heat up in about 8 seconds. I wouldn't use it to press a lot of yardage at one time but for pressing seams and blocks it does fine.

thrums 07-06-2023 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by mkc (Post 8607985)
It looks like the SteamFast only has 1 temperature and is 1200 watts. Panasonic cordless models have 3 temperatures and are 1500 watts. The Panasonic models should be able to reach a higher temperature. My cordless is an older Panasonic (not the 360) and works great for quilting.

I don't iron clothes, but I do make draperies. I use a portable steam generator (Reliable brand) for that since it requires much more steam to press bulky pleats and upholstery fabrics as well as set adhesives on buckram. If I had the room, I'd get a Laurastar.

Thanks for your reply. I also appreciate your tips on draperies. I have a pair on my ToDo list.

thrums 07-06-2023 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8607986)
I have the Steamfast cordless. I take it to retreats because it heat up in about 8 seconds. I wouldn't use it to press a lot of yardage at one time but for pressing seams and blocks it does fine.

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking a cordless would work well in smaller workspaces such as at retreats. I would like it to stay hot for pressing yardage and ironing shirts.

mkc 07-06-2023 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by thrums (Post 8608082)
Thanks for your reply. I was thinking a cordless would work well in smaller workspaces such as at retreats. I would like it to stay hot for pressing yardage and ironing shirts.

You need to keep putting the cordless iron in the dock to keep it hot. As soon as you lift it, it stops heating and starts cooling.

aashley333 07-07-2023 02:18 AM

I love my Panasonic cordless. Just fabric and seams. I don't do laundry, much less iron it. (My DD helps out around here a lot)

thrums 07-07-2023 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by aashley333 (Post 8608137)
I love my Panasonic cordless. Just fabric and seams. I don't do laundry, much less iron it. (My DD helps out around here a lot)

Thank you for your comments. It looks like Panasonic is the brand to get.....now I have to match the model to my needs.

I try to minimize my ironing my clothes, but I love wearing 100% woven cotton in the summer. Hanging the laundry on the line helps. 😉

happystitchermm 07-08-2023 04:12 AM

I had a Panasonic It was great , but it didn’t last long. I went back to buying an iron from Walmart. I got tired of paying high prices for irons and not lasting very long.

thimblebug6000 07-08-2023 06:03 AM

I have the Panasonic cordless NI-1500Z, made in Japan. It is older and it is used mostly to iron fabrics. I don’t usually use steam unless I have a very stubborn wrinkled fabric. I like the convenience of having it on the board without the cord in my way.