Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FQ prices (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fq-prices-t321311.html)

ptquilts 08-12-2023 12:01 PM

FQ prices

I stopped into a small local quilt shop that I have driven by for years and never went in. I was surprised at how much fabric they had (their main business is machine quilting) but what really shocked me was the price of fat quarters - $3.25 USD. I know I am really out of touch as I mostly shop from my own stash, but the last time I saw them was $1.50 or so in Jo-Ann. What is your experience with FQ's for sale?

cashs_mom 08-12-2023 12:10 PM

That sounds reasonable to me. A lot depends on what fabric line it is, but I think I usually pay $2.50 - $3.75 for a fat quarter. If you buy bundles, it usually comes out to less for each one.

Raggiemom 08-12-2023 12:42 PM

Most fat quarters here are $4!

Onebyone 08-12-2023 01:16 PM

I went to LQS fabric sale this morning. Getting a lot of older stock out to make room for the new lines. Brand name for 50% off. I bought a lot of focus fabric, and fabric for backings, as I have a lot of blender fabric. The Aurifil thread was being restocked. I looked at it a two weeks ago for a certain color and it was $11.99 for the big spool. The price today was $15.99. It is getting ridiculous. Fat quarters were $3.50 to $4.50. Layer cakes started at $44.99. Charm packs were $12.99. Makes me upset to such big price increases in a space of a few weeks.

sewingpup 08-12-2023 03:53 PM

most of the shops around here will not cut fat quarters for you. Some do carry those packs of fat quarters made by the fabric lines. They are usually more expensive than buying yardage of the same fabric. One shop will cut fat quarters out of the end of the bolt.

SueZQ from MN 08-12-2023 05:23 PM

It is only logical that fat quarters would be getting expensive as the price of fabric is skyrocketing. I saw some new seasonal fabric groupings at a local shop today that was $16.95/yd. It was not digitally printed. It was beautiful and even tempting, but way too rich for my wallet. This shop always has fat quarters cut and available when new collections first come in, but they are usually priced twenty-five to fifty cents higher than a 1/4 yard price would be making them rather pricey.

EIQuilter 08-13-2023 04:09 AM

It's usually based on the cost of the fabric - which has increased considerably over the past couple of years. The shop owners also have to factor shipping costs into their prices. If you have a FQ for $1.50, that's the equivalent of $6 per yard. When was the last time you bought fabric for that price (unless it's on sale)? With fabric generally being priced at $13 a yard or more, a price of $3.50 isn't a surprise to me.

joe'smom 08-13-2023 07:51 AM

I do all of my shopping on line, and $3.25 is typical for a FQ (in the relatively few shops that offer FQs).

CarolinePaj 08-13-2023 07:57 AM

Live your best lives everyone! Over here in the UK I have seen fabric for £20 a yard, that equated to £5.00 per FQ. That works out at $7.62 a FQ!

Synnove 08-13-2023 09:30 AM

That would come to $13 as yardage -- not an unusual price, I'm afraid. FQs would be cheaper at JoAnn simply because the JA fabric generally is not the quality you'll find at a LQS.