Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What type of sewing machine needles do you use? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-type-sewing-machine-needles-do-you-use-t321382.html)

bkay 08-24-2023 08:10 AM

What type of sewing machine needles do you use?

I've read to use universal and I've read to use quilting needles. I generally do piecing, walking foot and I am learning to do ruler work. Needles have gotten so expensive at retail, I'm considering ordering 50 or 100 pack from Amazon. I don't think the quilting needles come in large packages from Amazon.
bkay

patricej 08-24-2023 08:44 AM

i use organ brand needles. i buy in bulk, so 100 at a time, whichever size i'm low on.

this is a chart to the different types: https://www.organneedle.com/img/pdf/...ndex-web-e.pdf

you can buy some of them in bulk on amazon.

i couldn't find the quilting-specific needles anywhere.

quiltsfor 08-24-2023 09:05 AM

I've been using either:
Schmetz Needles - Art. 1842 HLx5 High Speed 90/14 - (5 pack)
Organ Quilting Industrial Machine Needles - Size 90/14 - HLx5 (10 pack)

The Schmetz High Speed needles are a little harder to find and are more expensive - last time purchased 5.95 for a 5 pack.

The Organ Industrial Machine Needles (also for high speed machines) were 2.95 for a 10 pack the last time I purchased them.

I'm actually finding that I like the Organ brand better, though I've just started to use them about a month ago. So far, I've had less thread breakage with them and they seem to last longer. And, since they are cheaper to purchase, it's a win win.

With the Schmetz, I did like them and used them exclusively at first, but in the last pack I opened, two of the needles had inner burrs in the eye of the needle that the thread rubbed against and caused it to break. (took me a bit to figure it out as the needles were brand new out of the package) That was when I decided to try the Organ needles.

Since I still have a stock of the Schmetz High Speed needles, I've been using them for piecing, and then switching to the Organ Industrial needles for top work (quilting and binding) Once all of my Schmetz needles are gone, I'll just be using the Organ Quilting Industrial Machine Needles.

Since my machine is a straight stitch, high speed machine, I need to make sure I get the High Speed needles, the HLx5. I get my Organ needles at Wawak.

I thought about getting them in bulk on amazon, but I couldn't find where it listed that it was a high speed needle (HLx5). I was advised by my dealer to make sure I got the high speed needles as they were safer to use in my machine.

Onebyone 08-24-2023 09:21 AM

I use Organ needles for quilting and piecing. I match the type and size according to the thread I'm using. I use Schmetz universal for my Featherweight. Those are the exact length for the Featherweight machine. I took a FW repair workshop and saw first hand the damage what the wrong length needle can do over time. Do not use Singer needles that are made now. They are very low quality.

Stitchnripper 08-24-2023 01:18 PM

Mostly Schmetz, sometimes Organ.

sewingpup 08-24-2023 03:15 PM

depends on what machine I am using. I generally follow the machine maker and dealers recommendations.

Mariposa 08-24-2023 07:49 PM

I use Schmetz, and Organ. Have good success with both brands.

BonnieJP 08-25-2023 02:14 AM

I buy the 100 needle package of Schmetz microtex from Amazon.

Rhonda K 08-25-2023 03:47 AM

I use Microtex 80/12 for sewing and embroidery machine projects. Needles are changed out after about 8 hours of sewing time or when I start a new project.

Snooze2978 08-25-2023 06:09 AM

When I bought my 1st embroidery machine back in 2000, I bought a batch of 75/11 embroidery needles at 100 in the batch. Then I started ordering 80/12 when I could find them and then 90/14. Also specilty needles for jeans, leather, metallics, etc. I use whatever needle depending on the thread I'm using whether it's for embroidery or for quilting. This is for my combo embroidery machine.

For the quilting machine I order size 16, 18 and 20, again depending on the thread I'm using. Think is Schmetz 135x5