Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Decorative stitches (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/decorative-stitches-t321875.html)

Butterflyblue 11-27-2023 10:08 AM

Decorative stitches

How often do you use decorative stitches, and if you use them, how do you use them?

I have recently got ahold of a vintage machine (okay, three of them) and their more limited stitch options made me think about the 12 available on my main machine, and I realized I could probably sew the rest of my life without anything more than straight stitch and zig zag. I mean, I’ve used the stretch stitches on my main machine for garment sewing, but you can use a narrow zig zag for knits, too, and sometimes I prefer that. Of the stitches I have, I use 4 of them: straight stitch, zig-zag, stretch straight stitch and a decorative buttonhole stitch. Today I tried all of them, just to see what they actually look like, and realized it was the first time in 15 years that I’ve used most of them. I made a little crazy quilt style block and sewed with decorative stitches over the seams, but other than that, I’m not sure what to do with them.

dunster 11-27-2023 10:20 AM

I agree. I haven't used the decorative stitches on my Bernina in years, and then only to experiment to see what they were like. I also sew frequently with machines that have only straight stitch. The only time I remember using zig zag recently is to sew batting scraps together.

Iceblossom 11-27-2023 10:23 AM

I'm largely with you -- I don't want a kazillion stitches because I don't use/need many of them in my quilting. For the most part, I just want a strong straight stitch for piecing. I joke that I don't really sew, I just quilt.

One "fancy" stitch that my vintage machines don't have but I use a lot on newer machines is the "serpentine" (multi-stitch zig zag sort of). I find that works very well for grid quilting my typically busy scrappy quilts. It would be a loss to lose that ability.

One use for fancy repeat designs is on bindings, especially on baby quilts.

I did program my fancy machine to personalize my husband's bowling towels when I was trying out modern (as opposed to vintage) life.

QuiltE 11-27-2023 01:11 PM

Knowing that I did not use the fancy stitches on my older machine, when I bought my new machine a few years ago, I tried to get one without. No way that was possible, because of all the other more modern features that I wanted, that really were just basic things. One being knee lift.

The only fancy type ones I use are zig-zag and buttonhole for edging appliques. Also, the one that I call faux-serger. Gives a good edge to a cut, not finished piece of fabric.

Some use the fancy stitches for quilting. The dealer had a beautiful crazy quilt style quilt, all stitched with the fancies as a stitch sampler. Quite showy, and I am sure many took that idea and made their own. Also, a basic quilt where straight rows of the fancy stitches were used for the quilting. Not for me though!

sewingpup 11-27-2023 01:13 PM

The decorative stitches I use a lot of are the serpentine stitches of which I have a couple. I have used them for straight line quilting and also for topstitching the binding down. I love that I have a couple of stitches to choose from and that the width and length dials on my Bernina make it easy to customize so I can get the serpentine stitch to look like what I want. Recently on a flannel quilt I actually used one of the three step utility stitches to get the serpentine stitch I like on that thick flannel. I also have used some of the decorative stitches, when making little appliquéd wall hangings. I used an eyelet stitch with gold metal thread to make the eye of a skunk! It turned out cute. I have used the blanket stitch ones in the quilting stitch menu to do blanket stitch around the appliques and again I discovered that the stitch mirror buttons help with that and also the stitch length and width dials to customize the exact size I want. I also have used the triple stitch function while stitching things like stems for flowers. And I made a simple two color table topper using 2 inch finished squares and stitch in the seam line with a variety of decorative stitches in the seam lines using a plain colored baking. This made a cute simple table topper that was reversible as the decorative stitches really showed up on the plain backing. I did use some rayon machine embroidery thread to do this as it jazzed it up some.
oh, I also have used decorative stitches when making handles for bags and also as accents on the bag, I have used one for Tying a qult instead of using yarn. Also to outline labels for a quilt. And to make cards that I have stitched on.

Onebyone 11-27-2023 02:20 PM

My Juki 2010 has all the features I wanted and no decorative stitches at all. I have an older Bernina and newer low end embroidery Brother for zig zag and other stitches but seldom use them.

Gay 11-27-2023 02:36 PM

I love having all the fancy stitches on my machines, and have used many of them for crazy quilt blocks and others. They seem to make a quilt more vintage looking when I use such as crochet threads etc in the bobbin. Of course you have to work from the backside of the block, and need a bobbin casing without the tension screw. I believe one can also use something like silk ribbon this way, though I haven't tried that yet. But one must practice and it's not for everyone.

1CharmShort 11-27-2023 02:55 PM

Like others, I like to use the deco stitches on binding, quilting, crazy quilts and an occasional special project ...like a place mat or coaster set or potholder...like that.

On my bucket list for next year is making and mailing postcards. That is where I plan to use lots of decorative stitches.

I have a vintage Husky with cams...lots of cams that contain fun deco stitches. Cam A holds the utility stitches and cams B-H are all full of fun things. And they can be combined for even more. I must take advantage of that.

Also, I have used some deco stitches on card stock and watercolor paper with embroidery thread to make greeting cards. Might do more of those.

thimblebug6000 11-27-2023 04:42 PM

Mostly it depends what mood I am in I guess. I do use the double buttonhole stitch with rayon thread on most of my fusible machine appliqué, or a satin stitch if it’s going to be washed frequently. I have tried and played with all the stitches by making samples when I first got the machine.
I also enjoy using the Serpentine stitch and adjust the widths/lengths until it works for me. I have used the lettering for labels but actually prefer to handwrite mine with Pigma pen for a more personal feel.
I do like options though 😀

Butterflyblue 11-27-2023 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 8625729)
I agree. I haven't used the decorative stitches on my Bernina in years, and then only to experiment to see what they were like. I also sew frequently with machines that have only straight stitch. The only time I remember using zig zag recently is to sew batting scraps together.

Sewing batting scraps together was exactly what I used mine for last, too.