Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   walking foot or quilting foot? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/walking-foot-quilting-foot-t40867.html)

StitchnFind 03-27-2010 08:37 AM

Hi, i am sorta new here. I have been surfing this board now for quite awhile. I am not sure if i should post this here but i figure i might as well try. i am thinking of trying to practice some FMQ but i am confused about which foot to use? i have made alot of quilts but i usually just tie them. Hopefully i will get DH to post some of mine to show you.
Kathy, Nana of three

Maride 03-27-2010 08:39 AM

The foot for FMQ can be called Free motion foot, darning foot or embroidery foot.

Prism99 03-27-2010 09:27 AM

The walking foot is for quilting straight lines. The feed dogs are engaged with it, just as with regular feet. It's called a walking foot because it feeds the top layer evenly with the bottom layer. It is not used for free motion quilting.

For FMQ, you need a "hopping" foot. This has a spring in it so the foot "hops" up with each stitch, allowing you to move the fabric. Most people use it with the feed dogs down to allow easy hopping; however, it will also work with feed dogs up and some people find they have better control that way. A darning foot is a hopping foot, and that is what most people use for FMQ.

StitchnFind 03-27-2010 01:45 PM

Oh thank you so much. I do have that hopping foot. I cant wait to give it a try now.

littlehud 03-27-2010 07:48 PM

Hook it up and try it. I love FMQ and hope you will to. It's so much fun.

craftybear 03-28-2010 09:57 PM

Have fun and let us know how you are getting along!

Gal 03-29-2010 01:03 AM

You ladies are wonderful, I never really understood all 'THAT STUFF'I am sure I will get to do it one day thanks to what I have learnt on this site!

Gal

StitchnFind 03-29-2010 01:49 AM

They sure are wonderful here and very helpful. I am really painfully shy here, thats why i havent joined for so long. But they are so friendly here, they gave me the courage to finally post. And i am so glad i did. Thank you all for the help. You have helped me in more than one way. I am trying to figure out now what i can use to practice on.
Have a great day all.

Jingle 03-29-2010 07:53 AM

Just make up a quilt sandwich, using a top fabric,batting and backing 18"x24" is a good size to practice on. I'm thinking of using bigger pieces and later sewing together and making a utility quilt with them. I still use a practice piece before I start quilting, just to make sure I have everything set right.

Dancing Needle 03-29-2010 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
Just make up a quilt sandwich, using a top fabric,batting and backing 18"x24" is a good size to practice on. I'm thinking of using bigger pieces and later sewing together and making a utility quilt with them. I still use a practice piece before I start quilting, just to make sure I have everything set right.

Yep, that's what I did. I made up several small quilt sandwiches out of muslin and keep them by my sewing machine when I want to practice or try out something new. Just remember when you get started the faster you move the quilt the bigger the stitches will be and the slower you move the shorter. You'll find your rhythm after a bit of practice. It's so much fun. Jump on in!

:thumbup: