Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need a batting heavier than W&N (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-batting-heavier-than-w-n-t55294.html)

Kryssa 07-19-2010 04:28 PM

I'm working on a quilt for my younger brother, who is starting college in the fall. I have made almost all my quilts with Warm & Natural, but he says he wants something heavier.

Do you guys have any recommendations? It needs to be something that will hold up to heavy use and machine washing.

amma 07-19-2010 04:31 PM

2 layers of warm and natural?

CoriAmD 07-19-2010 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by amma
2 layers of warm and natural?

That is the first thing that came to my mind too!

Bubblegum0077 07-19-2010 05:52 PM

Can 2 layers of warm and natural be long armed? Not sure if the girl who does my quilting will do two layers.

What about wool? I need to make a heavy quilt for a friend and I'm talking about making something for really cold winters. Can wool be doubled or will that be too bulky?

What do quilters in Michigan and Colorado use? They have cold brrrrr weather and I'm sure they will know better than me.

littlehud 07-19-2010 05:55 PM

I bet wool would be really warm. It's worth a try.

C.Cal Quilt Girl 07-19-2010 06:09 PM

How about wool, with a heavier backing fabric or a flannel back. (water proof tarp...Just Kidding) :) Good Luck !!!

JoanneS 07-19-2010 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kryssa
I'm working on a quilt for my younger brother, who is starting college in the fall. I have made almost all my quilts with Warm & Natural, but he says he wants something heavier.

Do you guys have any recommendations? It needs to be something that will hold up to heavy use and machine washing.

Fleece makes a MUCH heavier quilt. I use spray basting on all my quilts now, and it's especially good to keep the fleece from stretching when machine quilting. I wouldn't try to hand quilt fleece. I make the backing big enough to pin it over the top edges so it won't catch on anything and come un-basted.

When I use fleece, I consider it to be both batting and backing. Just 2 layers - top and fleece.

RoxanneS 07-19-2010 07:25 PM

I just quilted a WINTER WEIGHT quilt with 3 layers of Warm and Natural. It turned out really well....I love the weight!!!! It 'feels' great, and isn't too hard to handle.

In fact, this quilt I fully intend to put in the quilt show in the Western Washington State Fair.
Good LUCK!

quiltbible 07-20-2010 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kryssa

Try an army wool blanket. I never tried it but our fore quilters have. So surely this should work.

tea

scrappycats 07-20-2010 03:53 PM

Try an army wool blanket. I never tried it but our fore quilters have. So surely this should work.
We used to do that when I first learned about quilting - in the 1970's
makes such lovely heavy quilts. But we tied them instead of quilting them. It was too much to quilt.