Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   A question for the people in the USA (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/question-people-usa-t78754.html)

tweetee 11-25-2010 11:44 PM

Hi everyone, please forgive an ignorant Aussie, but I keep reading Black Friday, what exactly is Black Friday? Im a bit confused and curious!

cjomomma 11-25-2010 11:53 PM

Black Friday is the day after Thankgiving where most stores have major sales. Supposidly(sp?) it causes the companies to from being in the red (which is money loss) to being in the black (which is money made). I hope I explained it so you could understand.

Quiltforme 11-25-2010 11:53 PM

It is a day of early sales at the stores supposed to be the first day in the "black" for them. People wake up early some stores open at midnight. I stopped doing them when the crowd got too rowdy for me. it was fun but now i would rather sleep in!

Scissor Queen 11-25-2010 11:54 PM

It's called Black Friday because it's the day retailers hit the black ink for the year. Red ink is negative and black ink is to the positive. Some of the sales start at 3 am and there are people standing in line at some stores for hours waiting for them to open. Most stores have huge discounts on a few products and only stock a few of the hugely discounted items. People have been known to get in fist fights over things.

tweetee 11-25-2010 11:55 PM

Ahhhhh, thank you so very much! Great to know different countries traditions, you learn so much.

Thankyou for your explainations, now I know what everyone is talking about!

Goodness me, people get into fist fights over stuff???? Gosh, thats extreme isnt it? :shock:

Scissor Queen 11-26-2010 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by tweetee
Ahhhhh, thank you so very much! Great to know different countries traditions, you learn so much.

Thankyou for your explainations, now I know what everyone is talking about!

Goodness me, people get into fist fights over stuff???? Gosh, thats extreme isnt it? :shock:

Not only have people gotten into fist fights over stuff but there have been people that were knocked down and trampled over and died in the stampede when the doors open.

lindyline 11-26-2010 12:10 AM

Oh, that sounds like our Myers Boxing Day sales...
Now we really understand. Thanks.

tweetee 11-26-2010 12:15 AM

Quite right there lindyline, hence why I dont go to them anymore either. Not worth risking your life for a material object is it?

twinkie 11-26-2010 01:08 AM

I work at WalMart as a cashier and I am getting ready to go to work. It is 3:05 a.m. and I have worked the last 11 Black Fridays. I have yet to shop one for the first time. I cannot think of anything that is so important as to fight rude and pushy people to get something for a savings. My DH says, "If they were selling $100 bills for a nickel, I wouldn't fight that crowd". You all have fun. I know I am going to be having fun. LOL

CarrieAnne 11-26-2010 01:36 AM

LOL, I just got up, its 3:15 here...I have to work at5:30. ICK, this is my first Black Friday I worked....I wonder if there will be any fights ,lol?!?!