Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Extension table for my free arm machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/extension-table-my-free-arm-machine-t808.html)

Barb V 03-22-2007 08:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I want to share with you ladies the neat idea my husband came up with. He made an extension that fits around my free arm machine to have more sewing area. It is cut out of 1/2 inch oak, with adjustable legs. I covered it with contact paper so the material would slide nicely.

extension table for a free arm
[ATTACH=CONFIG]66486[/ATTACH]

Celeste 03-22-2007 08:29 PM

Excellent! Now I need to find someone like your talented hubby!

maebm 03-22-2007 11:07 PM

How is it kept at the same level as the machine? does it have legs? I would be interested in any additional info. It's a great idea!

Alice

Country Quilter 03-22-2007 11:39 PM

That is pretty awesome! I can't wait to show my husband as I've been trying to get him to make me one out of plexiglass for a couple years! Maybe if he knows he can make one out of wood he will finally do it! Your machine looks just like mine! Wouldn't happen to be a Kenmore would it?

vicki reno 03-23-2007 05:19 AM

Would you be willing to share talented hubby? You could probably mak a fortune just renting him out :lol: That was a neat idea --so clever, wish mine wuld do that for my machine. I really like it. I have my Bernina in the mtns--no cabonet for it up there and its so hard to do big projects with out that extra support. Great idea!

Barb V 03-23-2007 05:53 AM

:D I seem to keep him busy right here at home. LOL
He made it from a 1/2 inch thick smooth piece of oak, but you could also use pine or what ever. The size is 18 X 24. For the legs, he used a 1 inch dowel cut to heigh size to keep it level, allowing heigh and attached adjustable feet that screw in which makes it easy to slide. I covered it with contact paper. The hardest part was to get the opening pattern.
I just love it. It gives me so much more room for the material. It is real stable, and does not more around. I have a sewing cabinet, but did not want the machine in it, as I use it at the table for my quilting. My machine is a Kenmore Elite.
Now get your Hubby busy.

patricej 03-23-2007 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Barb V
:D I seem to keep him busy right here at home. LOL
He made it from a 1/2 inch thick smooth piece of oak, but you could also use pine or what ever. The size is 18 X 24. For the legs, he used a 1 inch dowel cut to heigh size to keep it level, allowing heigh and attached adjustable feet that screw in which makes it easy to slide. I covered it with contact paper. The hardest part was to get the opening pattern.
I just love it. It gives me so much more room for the material. It is real stable, and does not more around. I have a sewing cabinet, but did not want the machine in it, as I use it at the table for my quilting. My machine is a Kenmore Elite.
Now get your Hubby busy.

i heard Congress passed a law last week making it legal for women to use power tools, sandpaper and screwdrivers.

we are woman; hear us roar; even over the noise of a skillsaw.
:mrgreen:

k_jupiter 03-23-2007 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i heard Congress passed a law last week making it legal for women to use power tools, sandpaper and screwdrivers.

we are woman; hear us roar; even over the noise of a skillsaw.
:mrgreen:

You are so right. Time to get my GF to make one of these for my Elna. It would fit her's too.

tim in san jose

ceannastahr 05-17-2007 05:35 PM

I bought the plywood, the dowel,contact paper and 1inch felt tips for the bottom of the leg first week of April, DH say I'll do it on Wednesday.Well today I took out his circular saw and the jig saw and did it myself.

He looked what i cut and said you messed it up, you didn't even cut the legs straight. It will be all loop sided.

Guess what? I put my table on my machine got out the level and it was perfect all around.

Moonpi 05-17-2007 06:06 PM

too funny! My ex was useless with tools, learned to do lots of stuff out of neccessity. It's a great accomplishment.