Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Feeding the Eagles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/feeding-eagles-t91565.html)

clem55 01-18-2011 05:46 AM

6 Attachment(s)
these pictures were sent to me by email, not sure about adding them in here as I've never tried to do from an email file before. The pictures were taken in Alton, IL. just a few miles from where I grew up. They are absolutely fascinating! They were taken by a retired teacher, and the close-up shots were not taken with a telescopic lens, they were actually that close. The email said the Eagles were unable to feed from the MIssissippi River because the fish had gone too deep because of the cold.

Locals took it among themselves to provide fish
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162923[/ATTACH]

not using telescopic lens
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162924[/ATTACH]

the Eagles seemed to lose their of the men after they started providing food
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162926[/ATTACH]

along the river bank
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162927[/ATTACH]

can you imagine being this close?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162928[/ATTACH]

Jan in VA 01-18-2011 05:51 AM

Amazing!! Awesome sight, thanks for sharing!

Jan in VA

ssgramma 01-18-2011 05:52 AM

Wow! They were really close!!!

Murphy 01-18-2011 06:03 AM

Incredible and wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

jamh 01-18-2011 06:15 AM

Awesome!! I would love to be there!! Thanks for sharing!

ktbb 01-18-2011 06:29 AM

I want to correct a misunderstanding...the photos were taken in Homer, AK, not Alton, IL (see the mountains in the background of a couple of photos?). Until last year, Homer had a woman who for years had lived on the beach and fed the eagles in winter...she has passed on now and law prohibits anyone from carrying on her work. I've been to the site myself in winter and eagles are there by the hundreds for handouts. It is an amazing site...in Homer.

crt 01-18-2011 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by ktbb
I want to correct a misunderstanding...the photos were taken in Homer, AK, not Alton, IL (see the mountains in the background of a couple of photos?). Until last year, Homer had a woman who for years had lived on the beach and fed the eagles in winter...she has passed on now and law prohibits anyone from carrying on her work. I've been to the site myself in winter and eagles are there by the hundreds for handouts. It is an amazing site...in Homer.

That's what I thought. I remember seeing these pictures a couple of years ago. I didn't know she had passed away! That's too bad. She'll be missed.

cherylynne 01-18-2011 06:38 AM

I'm afraid of birds, but this is an amazing sight. I suppose they will not be this fearless in the summer when food is plentiful again.

RIDGEFIELD 01-18-2011 06:40 AM

What a beautiful site that must have been! Thanks for sending the pictures and they came out perfect.

moonwork42029 01-18-2011 06:44 AM

Darn, I'm not that far from Alton and was already planning a weekend get a way

Some day we hope to see it in Alaska to, but it will be awhile I'm afraid.

Thanks for sharing