Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Blocking ads

Blocking ads

I have found since I started using Firefox I don't ever have those annoying pop ups anymore, not just here on QB but anywhere on my computer. What a relief that is.
    Kitsy

Blog Entries
    yes, i switched to Firefox, too. i don't get pop up ads. but i was getting other ads on the board and on the archive menu. i installed free AdBlocker and i don't even get those now.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I use Firefox and I get them both all the time.

I have heard that one reason we get things "free", like this QB, is because it is paid for by the ads. I usually ignore them. Obviously the moderators, technitions, etc., need to be paid, and that is how it happens. I'm not really into this, but I did read that the advertisers can see how many people see their ads and if it goes way down they will pull their ads. Maybe, especially since QuiltNan, who is a moderator, this is not true of QB.

If you are using Firefox, you can block popup ads by going to the Tools menu, click on Options, click on Content and check the box next to Block Popup Windows.

You can also block popup windows in Internet Explorer, but I don't recall all the steps.
    Laurlyn
    Innova 26" w/LS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
    ... Obviously the moderators, technicians, etc., need to be paid...
    the Moderators and I are volunteers.

however, without the ad revenue the company that owns the board would not be able to provide it to us at no cost to us.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

I also have an eddres you can use if you need to contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community: patricej@quiltingboard.com