Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > QB Help Center
Concern about site >

Concern about site

Concern about site

Old 11-05-2016, 10:00 AM

Default Concern about site

Hello,

This a wonderful site and most of us are good and appreciative supporters. But there is at least one losers out there. I say this because yesterday got hit by Ransomware as I was clicking on some pictures to open them in the Scrappy Quilt Show under Pictures. I have already looked at the early pictures so I was trying to catch up with some of the latest ones. I should have been suspicious because I think they were a repeat of some of the earliest posts.

My husband helped me. I know not to click on anything. He got the Ransomware page closed and ran my software protection update and nothing bad came up on my computer. The Ransomware was wanting me to phone them. My husband took a photo of what it looked like if you want to see.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:17 PM
Administrator

you need to send my as much information about that as possible by email.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:31 AM

Patrice, Thanks for watching our backs. I am here every morning at 6 a.m. waiting for this to come in. It starts my day....well with a Dr. Pepper. It is however, costly......someone mentions a book I don't have and of course I have to buy it. Thanks. Marcia aka Battle Axe
Old 11-07-2016, 05:41 AM

I got hit with Ransomware a few weeks ago but I wasn't on the quilting board. I was in a website to update my printer drivers. I think you can get hit no matter what you're doing.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:25 AM

I didn't get Ransomware, but I was infected with malware every time I opened a link posted on the Digest. This went on for weeks and I was going back and forth with Kaspersky to get rid of it.

The screen would light up and say "Warning..Your Computer is Infected. Call immediately ...Blah, Blah, Blah. The screen would not go away until I restarted and it only happened on Daily Digest. (I could get the Digest on my Ipad with no trouble.)

Should this happen to anyone, take a screen shot and run a full security scan. If that doesn't work, call your security and have the screen shot ready to send.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:00 AM

DON'T call the number flashing on the screen like institches33 described. They will want remote control of your computer and then try to sell you really expensive safety software. Ask me how I know, sigh...! I had to have my IT son clean up a brand new computer after that. Look up your support number from your owner's manual. Sure wish con artists would use all their energy and brains to do good.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:02 AM

We are constantly receiving calls from some entity purporting to be Microsoft or Windows, wanting us to allow them remote access to our computer(s). There's absolutely no way that Microsoft would call you asking for remote access to your computer. My son works in computer sales/service, so obviously, I have been advised. I might add that we are on the Florida and US "Do Not Call" Lists, and it makes no difference whatsoever. These scammers still call, trying to sell you something. At one time, I wasted my time telling the caller that I didn't know them from Adam's house cat, and I was not giving them any information or access to my computer(s). Now, I just hang up! As I said, my son works in computer sales/service, and the company he works for has had many customers who "fell" for this scam. For your sake, please don't. It will only cost you money to straighten out what the scammers mess up.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:48 AM

I get the Microsoft call 2 or 3 times every week. Depending on the mood I'm in, I hang up, or I have acted completely dumb and strung them along for 30 - 45 minutes until they really push for a credit card.

While I'm having fun with them, I'm wasting their time and they're not bothering anyone else who might accidently fall for their crap and send them money.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:53 AM

When I get those "Microsoft" calls, I tell them I don't have a computer and then hang up! Hmmmmmm, I haven't received any of those for awhile. They probably think I'm too "dumb" to mess with! ha!