Quilting Board Rules
Welcome to The Quilting Board. We are an open, international, and multi-cultural community.
Everyone is encouraged to participate, and everyone is welcome until a member proves that it is unlikely that he or she will comply with the rules.
We come together here to celebrate the art of quilting. The primary mission of our community is to help each other share and grow as quilters. We strive to create and maintain a cheerful, nurturing, encouraging, friendly and fun environment. The atmosphere is that of a small town or neighborhood. (Think Mayberry, or Dibley. Not Wisteria Lane or Peyton Place. )
As such, we are a moderated community. We have a dress code and standards of behavior based on common sense, common courtesy, and the sorts of social expectations recognized and practiced in all civilized societies.
Any guidelines we institute are in addition to those rules of common sense and courtesy, and we are not outlining or providing for every situation. The simple rules we write here can in no way constitute the entire scope of how The Quilting Board will be managed. We can only provide the guidelines, and do our best to maintain this site with its original purpose in mind - providing a place for people to get together and share their creativity and talent, and provide support for one another in a positive way.
We expect and welcome contributions that stimulate and add to our creative atmosphere. While encouraging all discussions, we expect all participants to treat each other with respect and courtesy.
Although the administrators and moderators of Quilting Board will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this site, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Quilting Board, nor vBulletin Solutions, Inc. (developers of vBulletin), or Community Leaders will be held responsible for the content of any message.
By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.
We reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any content item for any reason. We also reserve the right to suspend or permanently revoke user accounts as deemed necessary and appropriate to community interests.
Plan to arrive dressed for a neighborhood block party. Please feel free to wear anything you like except the following:
-sack cloth and ashes
-any variation or style of said articles of clothing
Standards of Conduct
We are an international, multi-cultural community. Please remember and respect that.
- Please be polite. The board should be a place we gather to share information, friendship, encouragement and all things positive.
A friendly, informative and spirited debate can be a great deal of fun. It's an opportunity to see things from other points of view and, perhaps, to learn something. We should laugh and learn our way through.
- Poisonous arguments; venting; steaming; "screaming"; and spiraling anger are not permitted. Whine with no cheese is a drag. And, really, somebody should give that poor dead horse a break. He's been through enough.
- Trashing, bashing, ranting, raving, venting, steaming, and other types of posts that focus on anger or other types of negativity are prohibited. They detract from the fun and do not reflect well on our community.
- Religious content is not permitted here. We are not anti-religion. We simply respect each member’s need and right to worship (or not) within the system and context that most supports their need for personal strength and fulfillment, and that inspires them to be a better person. Members and visitors to our site should be able to come here knowing that they will not be criticized, contradicted, or harassed by others who might have a different philosophy to their own.
-Political content is also prohibited in the same way and for the same reasons. Political content will be deleted. There are no exceptions.
- Consumer complaints are not permitted. These include – but are not limited to - accounts of unhappy shopping experiences, complaints about coupon, discount and sale policies, customer service you were not pleased with, etc.
- We are not resourced to advocate or resolve those issues.
- We get only one side of the story.
- Consumer Complaints generate streams of anger and so are not usually useful or constructive.
- Do not post images with copyrighted patterns of other quilters without their permission. It's OK to post a link to the author's site that shows the pattern, but don't copy and post it here.
- Do not post links promoting any "signup" pages, newsletters, lists, message boards, sweepstakes, giveaways, contests, voting pages, etc. That includes any sites that are meant to collect "signups" or personal data for any purpose.
- Do not "bump" topics/threads. Bumps are posts that contribute nothing to the conversation and that are added for the sole and obvious purpose of moving a topic/thread to a higher position in the order of display in content lists. The practice is prohibited whether the intent is to move your own post or another member’s post to or near the top of the order.
- Keep your signatures to no more than 5 lines total. This will still give you plenty of room for fun and creativity. Blank separating lines are also counted.
- Use plain, black text in a small font (not larger than size 2).
- Animated signatures - particularly those that blink and flash - were causing serious problems for members with certain vision and neurological conditions. For that reason, we have disabled that option.
- Please accept the change with grace. it's for a good cause. I know in my heart that nobody here would demand the right to make their friends physically ill just to have a cutesy-wootsie signature.
- Profile signatures should not include scriptural quotes or other forms of proselytizing, testifying, and sermonizing. Requests for prayers are permitted only in Members’ Blogs. They are the only overtly religious posts for which we allow exceptions when it's possible and practical.
- Profile signatures should not include political statements or content that could easily be interpreted as such.
- If your signature contains a link to your website/blog/store, then please reciprocate and link to this forum's home page from your site.
- Do not post "affiliate" links of any kind.
- Signatures may contain a maximum of 3 off-site links to blogs, shops, etc. These signature lines are considered passive advertising – a privilege of membership if they are used properly.
- Promotional language and referral links are not allowed. Examples of promotional language include any call to action for a user to visit a commercial site, and include but are not limited to, phrases such as:
"Check out XYZ"
"Get XYZ at XYZ for less."
- To correct or otherwise update your Profile Signature, click on the My Profile link at the top of the page. You will find several updatable fields, including a Signature field.
- Non-compliant signatures will be edited or removed upon discovery and without notice. Deliberate re-placement of non-compliant signatures that have been corrected by Administrators or Moderators shall be considered a violation.
Advertising/Solicitation Is Not Permitted
- We recognize that many of our members have their own off-site blogs and/or operate businesses that relate to quilting. We would like to emphasize that professionals are every bit as welcome here as beginners. We certainly do not ask or expect you to abandon any existing or planned ventures as a “cost” of membership here. We also don't ask or expect you to keep your profession a secret. We wish our professional members the greatest of success!
- However, we do ask that you participate here as a regular/genuine member who coincidentally has a profession or off-site blog that relates to quilting.
- You may not exploit your membership to actively advertise or promote your blog, your company, product or site or to solicit customers. This includes but is not limited to your own specials, sales, open houses, products you sell on your website, hardwall store, etc.
- Do not include either your business name or a link to your site inside your posts. Instead use a signature (you can set it up in your profile. Click on the My Profile link at the top of the page. You will find several updatable fields, including a Signature field.)
- Do not post links to things you have for sale/trade at other sites.
- If your signature contains a link to your website/blog/store, then please make sure to reciprocate and link to this forum's home page from your site.
- Posts that are deemed to be advertising or promotional in nature will be edited or deleted upon discovery and without notice by one of the Administrators or Moderators.
- Should you wish to advertise on our site, please send an email to email@example.com (Please use the subject line: Inquiring About Paid Advertising at The Quilting Board.)
User Titles are based on number of posts in the sections that relate to quilting,
Member 0 - 99
Junior Member 100 - 299
Senior Member 300 - 999
Super Member 1,000 – 9,999
Power Poster 10,000 +