Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Malware Warning When I Sign into the Quilting Board

Malware Warning When I Sign into the Quilting Board

Has anyone else gotten this message? Happened to me today for the first time. Wonder if it's just all the ads or if something else is going on. In any event, here's the message that my Panda Security Cloud Virus Program posted, even pulling me out of QB until I ticked a box saying I realize there's a risk but I want to continue at this site:

"The page has been blocked as it contains malware or exploits

The Web page you are trying to access contains malware and exploits that could infect your computer.
    We advise you not to continue visiting this page."
    I didn't make this beautiful GFG quilt but it's on my wish list to do

Blog Entries
    I'm going to copy/paste PatriceJ's reply to previous posts regarding this:

it is not a virus. it's a pop-up ad.
    my own theory is that one of the ads being pushed through the space is infected with adware or spyware.
    the techs try to block all pop-ups but this one is particularly annoying and was programmed to elude most defense measures.

when the invisible ad/spyware tries to install itself, our own anti-virus programs prevent it.
    mine activates the additional step of temporarily blocking all traffic from the website.
    that's why it's necessary to shut down the browser completely to get rid of it.

therefore, it's a "good-news-bad-news" thing. the ad and having to close and restart the browser is a pain in the butt. on the other hand, that's at least proof that our AV programs are protecting our computers. it's also important to remember that the board itself is not infected with a virus. as long as you have good AV software installed on your computer and keep it up to date there's nothing to worry about.

if you know how to take a screen-shot, please do that if you get the false AV notice.
    send it by email to info@quiltingboard.com

they will appreciate any clues we can provide to track down the source and block it.
    MzzzQuilts aka Ellen

I do know how to take screen shots and would be happy to do so and pass them on. Unfortunately, I don't think I will get another chance to do that because I instructed my AV software to ignore the warnings on this site. Thanks for the reassurance.
    I didn't make this beautiful GFG quilt but it's on my wish list to do

Blog Entries
    I get it almost daily from McAfee. It blocks most of the ads. It is not there all the time, just when ads are blocked.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

ibadmin
    Hey Aurora,

Do you know which ads it blocks? Also I was not clear about your statment "It is not there all the time, just when ads are blocked." So, do you mean when u see certain ads its when McAfee blocks the site ?

Looking forward for your help in resolving this issue.

Thanks,
    IBadmin

Several times a month while I am browsing thru QB, usually going between menu and articles, my antivirus etc software dings and says it has eaten malware or a Trojan horse-- no problelms the next time I click on that particular article -- glad that it is working well and also my spam catcher -- computers and I are ok as long as there are no problems --
    diane

ibadmin
    He everyone,

We found a rogue ad that would have been causing virus alerts on your computer. We removed it this morning. Can you please let us know if you still happen to get virus alert or not.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

See you around on Quiltingboard.

IBadmin